How do you describe your pain?

One of the intriguing things to me about PSA is that I now know very different types of pain than I had experienced pre-dx. How do you describe the pain of a flare to others?

Here are some of my descriptions:

- Like a red hot sewing needle in the joint (this is the the pain that comes on super-quick and takes my breath away - I yelp enough to be heard - then disspates)

- Like painful crinkly sandpaper. Can't really describe this one well. Maybe an internal sunburn? It's with the inflammation at the start of a flare and sticks around.

- Tender joints (I think some of this is both the swelling and enthesitis)

Some of these help me when folks want to compare this to OA. I have OA in a few joints and I won't deny that that is painful but it, for me, is a different, more achy, throbby pain.

What's your favorite phrase? I may borrow it the next time I'm asked!

Lorrie

Hand - dull ache that burns when I twist and turn. Feels better I don’t over use it.

Back - The burning pain you feel when you over use it or pull a muscle. If I move the wrong way I feel a sharp pain similar to the pain you feel at a dentistry when they drill and don’t numb your mouth enough.

Knees - feels like there is a needle in the joint. Sometimes it feels like my joint is grinding.

Thanks, mataribot!

I can identify with your descriptions!

Lorrie