Holiday Plans Anyone?

The holidays are here or right around the corner depending on your side of the planet. What are your plans? Any special treats for yourself or your family? Let’s spread some cheer around here!

For Thanksgiving we are staying home and keeping it low key. Just me, my husband, and son. We are roasting a duck and having some traditional sides. For Christmas my husband’s parents will be here so we will beef it up a bit. A turkey dinner with sides, cookies, pies, etc. I’l decorate the house more than usual which isn’t very much. I am hoping to check out a few light displays around our area. We are also going to a local small town that does a wonderful winter wonderland with lights and staying a few nights in our RV the first weekend in December. I am looking forward to that!

1 Like

That sounds like a really nice holiday. We will be going to my brother’s house which is a few hours drive away. It will be my family and my daughter will meet us from her college. My brother’s household is a blended marriage so there’s four kids between them all young adults oh, and my parents will be joining us as well, five dogs. So there’s always a lot of chaos around, but the dogs definitely make it a lot more entertaining. I have been trusted with getting wine and that’s it. I’m okay with that.

I should add in that we are able to do this because we are all vaccinated so while it doesn’t mean that we can’t get sick, it does mean that if anybody that’s get sick it won’t be as bad. Also none of us are traveling by plane so that makes a big difference. All of us will be traveling by car.

And even though we will just be gone for one night, I do have somebody looking in on my cats. They haven’t been left alone at all for over 2 years.

2 Likes

@Stoney That sounds like a lovely gathering! I bet the dogs make for entertainment for the whole evening!

“beefing it up with turkey”…oh the wonderful English language!
I think most Canadians are hesitant to make too many plans just yet while wanting to be sure that we don’t get put into a holiday Covid lockdown. Anything is possible but I am hopeful for a more traditional holiday season.

1 Like

We have a large family (4 kids and their spouses and 12 grandkids). It’s quite a crowd. Our daughter is having Thanksgiving—she has plenty of space for all of us. But everybody insists we have Christmas “at grandma and grandpa’s”, so I guess we host all of those people in our not so spacious home. Of course, I’m overly concerned about COVID, even though we’ve all been vaccinated. Our son (42) is just getting over COVID and our 30-year old daughter and her 2-year old are battling something yucky. I think probably strep. It’s not COVID according to the two negative test results. On top of that, nearly everybody else in our large family has had a mild case of COVID somewhere along the lines—except my husband and me! I’m really scared of it, so we wear masks everywhere.
Do you think it’s rude to ask the kids to wear masks when we all get together? My husband is 71 and I’m 68. I just wish COVID would go away altogether, but that’s not gonna happen anytime soon.

No I don’t think it’s rude at all, just sensible.

1 Like

To be fair, you should take the cats along too. It would be a time to remember!

1 Like

How exciting @Grandma_J, I can relate as we also have 4 married children and 12 grandchildren and our house is not really big enough for the gang but we are together twice a month for Sunday supper so we know the routine. I also share your concern about masks and kids…but we gave up on that as we are really one big cohort hugging and all over each other anyway. The cousins are at school together and I guess what ever is spread is happening before we get together. It’s one of those risks that we choose to take, say a prayer and enjoy each other without the masks. It is a personal choice and we all have different circumstances, I hope that fear doesn’t rob you of the treasure that you have in gathering! But, it is your home and being well loved by them all, they can (should) respect your decision.

2 Likes

@Amos Haha!! Yes the English language is a wonderful thing.

@Grandma_J I would insist that Thanksgiving he held at your daughters house, that way they can all do as they like with masks. You can wear yours and not feel like you are imposing on everyone. But if they are coming to your house, it is your rules.

1 Like

How exciting, @Amos, your family gets together twice a month. We used to do that before the grandkids got older. Everyone is always going in different directions. But that would sure be fun. As it is, we all try to get together about 5 times a year (except last year and most of this year!).

Thanks for the advice—have a great holiday!

1 Like