HLBA27 negative

A trip to the Emergency and a CT Scan later I was diagnosed with Colitis. Another health problem to manage. The Emergency Doctor said it was fairly common for people with Psa to suffer with Colitis (Inflamatory Bowel with bleeding)
The Gastro Doctor has recommended another Colonoscopy and HLBA27 blood test. I have no doubt about my Psa nor does the Rheumy I had. I have all the usual symptoms of joint pain, swollen toes and hands, lifting finger and toe nails
Psoriasis all over my scalp and on my back. Back and hip pain and my list goes on. I felt the HLBA27 blood test was to confirm or dismiss my Psa diagnoses. Does anyone else have a Negative to this blood test. I have been taken off Costynex and Cellabrex, now my right hand and wrist are so swollen and too painful to use. Both elbows and my right shoulder are also painful and the pain has spread to my neck. I have had to move into a granny cabin next to my son.
I will have to find a new GP and Rhuemy as I have moved several hundred km’s so I can get assistance.

I’m HLBA27 negative. Around 50% of people suffering psoriasis and/or PsA are also negative for it. I most certainly had psoriasis - thankfully it doesn’t bother me anymore. And I most certainly have PsA as I’m now on my third biologic which is working a treat - Cosentyx. No gastro doctor anywhere is going to confirm or dismiss a diagnosis of PsA since he’s not also a rheumatologist. And I’m sure he doesn’t want to lose his licence to practice.

I’m not sure whether HLBA27 figures in things like Crohns or other gastro issues. It might do. It’s merely identifying whether or not you have a specific gene - that’s all.

Incidentally this time last year I was hospitalised with colitis. It turned out is was meds induced. At that time I was taking sulfasalazine plus a biosimilar to Enbrel. It appears there can be a rare issue taking both and sadly it got me. On stopping sulfasalazine the colitis cleared up. But it took 7 miserable weeks for everyone to work that one out. I hope you can recover from your bout of it too. It’s utterly miserable that’s for sure.

Cosentyx is contra-indicated for any IBD issues so that’s probably why it’s been stopped but it’s essential you get started on another biologic soon, hopefully.

2 Likes

Thanks for clearing this up for me

1 Like

Hi Bella, I’m also HLAB27 negative and have IBD as well as PsA. I take small amounts of NSAIDs but it depends how individually sensitive you are to them (my IBD is on the mild end).

Poo is right in that Costenyx is contra-indicated for Inflammatory Bowel, but there are quite a few biologics that treat BOTH PsA and inflammatory bowel. Definitely get yourself to a new Rhuemy ASAP - mine certainly knows which drugs will work for both PsA and Crohns, and so I just get treatment from him for both.

I think at least Humira, Remicade, and Simponi can be effective for both PsA and Colitis. Methotrexate also often helps both.

I hope you get some good treatment soon, sounds like it has been really rough!

HLBA27 has become meaningless, especially since it is no longer considered part of the Seronegative Arthritis DX protocol. (2016 if I remember correctly)

2 Likes

Yes those were my thoughts too.

I am living 25 minutes from town. I can’t drive so I totally have to rely of my son or daughter, They mostly work from home and have a 2 year old. I choose to live in a Studio Cabin about 60 metres from their house. So I have some one to call on close by. Hopefully without being too much of a burden on them… I will be getting home help in after Christmas on our Government scheme, It is much cheaper for our Govt to provide 4 hours a week assistance than to run 24/7 aged care facilities. I am 72 and I am grateful for whatever help I can get. My granny cabin as I call it is in a Rain Forest and I look out onto mountains through ceiling to floor windows. As stress free as I can get. The mountains are partially burnt by the recent bush fires. I am living in Northern New South Wales in Australia We were evacuated for 10 days. No loss of lives or property near by.

I do know how important it is to find a new Rheumy as soon as I can, however that won’t be until the New In the mean time I will be taking it easy. It will be after New Year before I get a Rhuematologist appt.

I thank all of you for your most informative advice and good wishes

Hello bella,

just took a look back and realised you’ve been a member since 2012! For some reason that impresses me!

It’s good to hear from you. Your new living arrangements sound amazing and very practical too. Glad to hear that nobody got hurt at the time of the evacuation.

Let us all know how you fare in your quest for a new rheumy.

1 Like

Gosh Bella, you’ve been a member about as long as I have! We should have awards, shouldn’t we?

Yes I agree with everyone else here: get that new rheumy asap. You absolutely need therapy that will keep the PsA at bay. Your studio cabin sounds beautiful, practical and private: I think I’d rather have that than live in a senior’s home. I just hope that if you become very unwell, they will pitch in and give you more of a hand than you are getting now.

Do stay in touch. It’s nice to have another “old timer” here. (Although Sybil is a good contender too!)

Seenie

The sound of your

1 Like

Sounds like a beautiful spot Bella. I heard on the radio today that Tex Perkins (musician - may not be your generation) is organising a fundraiser for the local firefighters around Byron. Apparently they are holding raffles including a personal training session with Chris Hemsworth and his wife (that one made me chuckle - I’m sure there is someone out there who would see that as a prize, but not me!).

Anyhow, keep well until you can get to a Rheumy - and remember a first appointment often takes a month or two (or three) to get the appointment, so if you can make the appointment now, you will short-cut the process and still have plenty of time to get a referral from the GP. (I just re-read it and realised that you probably already know this, but just in case :slight_smile:). Hope the bushfires stay away!

2 Likes

Sounds like a great living arrangement Bella. It’s beautiful and peaceful, and seems like you have others nearby whom you can depend on if you need it, if not visit for a little family comfort and company. Good to hear that the brush fires are at bay, too. Hope this next decade can start with some great new doctors for you as well! :slight_smile:

I tested negative and my doctor said that didn’t mean much. He said they really didn’t understand the relationship, but that positive people were easier to diagnose.

1 Like