Has anyone else got PsA and Polymyalgia Rheumatica?

I like the sound of Ankle Alphabet! I'm going to bed in a minute so will give the whole goofy stretch routine a go. I've got an armchair yoga DVD it's still in the wrapper but I'll give it a try tomorrow.

I try to make my diet healthy rather then 'weight loss' and have most things in moderation - I've gone piscitarian, gluten free (I've been dairy free for 20 odd years) and very low sugar - no refined if possible.

Thank you for sorting out some of the PMR v PsA pains for me. It will be great when PMR eventually leaves me alone.

My problem is that exercise wipes me out, apart from being painful. Although the last couple of days I have done a bit of gardening which has made me feel good.

I'll 'goof off' now and practise my alphabet.

tntlamb said:

The biologics generally do a good job on axial pain, but less so on the peripheral stuff which is why they are often combined with NSAIDS or DMARDs. Here is the funny thing DMARD's often don't work by themselves but when added after a biologic is started do a lot of folks good. A lot of that pain sound pretty clearly like PMR. That frontal chest pain is pretty common with PsA. FWIW when its flaring for me, I use a hot pack on the back and cold packs on the front (or alternate)

I HATE getting up in the morning. MY coffee grinder/brewer is automatic great alarm... At least I know something good is waiting after my "routine" That stiffness is PsA and should be less than 20 minute if there is any control of your disease. You mentioned YOGA, Great stuff. I have a chair routine I do every morning (or as my wife calls it - unfolding) If I ever got on the mat again, they would have call in a crane. It really makes the day go better. With PMR, exercise, the right kind, usually improves things. I do a pretty goof stretch routine before bed. Don;'t know how much good it does, but it makes me feel like I have some control. I move evey joint especially the hands and toes. I write the alphabet with both ankles, that does make a difference)

I know you know this as a nutrtionist, but in the event you have forgotten. High protein diet will elevate some of your liver numbers. If you are trying to control that weight by cutting carbs as I am, some funky numbers can happen.

E. Rose .... apologies if I've/ you've covered this somewhere else .... but I find a warm pool hydrotherapy routine the absolute BEST way to stretch and exercise. I have lots of shoulder problems and it helps so much, same with the hip pain. If you have chance to find a physio/PT who is trained in hydrotherapy and can work with you to put a routine together you will have struck gold.

I had all but lost use of my right arm movement from the shoulder when I started and now, well, I've likely got 90% range of movement.

Sleep well, I like the sound the of ankle alphabet too and will be giving that a whirl myself.

Hi Jules -Thank you for taking an interest, yes I have tried hydrotherapy - but it wiped me out. The problem I find is that people say that the more you can do it the better it gets. However, when do you call a halt if it doesn't seem to be helping?!

I have got one more session left on the course I paid for - I'll give it another go and pay for a few more. It is quite a way from where I live and expensive so I do need to be sure it will work. How many sessions did it take for you to get a result?

I did the Ankle Alphabet last night - my ankles, feet and shin muscles are very achey this morning - but I I won't give up at the first hurdle.

Apologies to you too if you know about the following already:

I have been having trouble turning knobs on doors and opening jars etc.so .....

I've also started some hand physio I found on twitter - make a tight fist and rotate your wrists both ways, and finger press ups - put your fingers together as if in prayer then pull your palms apart keeping the finger tips touching. Then you push against your finger tips as if trying to make your palms touch. These are to strengthen the forearms - thus helping hand grip.
Jules G said:

E. Rose .... apologies if I've/ you've covered this somewhere else .... but I find a warm pool hydrotherapy routine the absolute BEST way to stretch and exercise. I have lots of shoulder problems and it helps so much, same with the hip pain. If you have chance to find a physio/PT who is trained in hydrotherapy and can work with you to put a routine together you will have struck gold.

I had all but lost use of my right arm movement from the shoulder when I started and now, well, I've likely got 90% range of movement.

Sleep well, I like the sound the of ankle alphabet too and will be giving that a whirl myself.

I wish you were closer and could come to the pool with me.

When I first started, which is over two years ago, I did an initial course of six 30 minute sessions with a physio and then kept renewing every six weeks. In just that first six sessions my range of movement improved in my shoulders and my knees strengthened. You need to start gently with only a few repetitions and minimal resistance and build up from there. I think I only realised the true benefit when I had a break for a few weeks over winter (I was a bit of a wimp about going out in the cold when my disease wasn't very well controlled) and stiffened up again.

I spent a few pounds on buying my own 'kit' ... a couple of foam noodles, arm bands, flippers and a float .... to take to use in the pool on holiday. Back in April my physio went on maternity leave so I've joined a local hotel spa, with nice facilities and a lovely warm pool, take my own equipment and run through the routines. I try to go twice a week for about 30 - 45 minutes or so depending on how I'm feeling on the day. I often don't feel like going but I know that regardless of how I feel about it the benefit to my body is huge. The sauna/steam room can be comforting too.

I did the alphabet ankles last night as well. It was fun, not least of which because my cat thought it was a game of toe chasing. I can feel it in my shins this morning. And I do hand exercises. I think there are some images of the exercises I do on the internet. I will look and post them. For grip I have some squares of non-slip shelf mat (kind of like a flat sponge mesh) and I find that is great for improving my grip. Have you asked your GP or rheumy for an occupational health referral? I found that really helpful in terms of getting the hand exercises, some wrist splints plus they can help organise and advise on other aids available to make life easier. My OH physio also did hot wax treatments and that was heavenly for sore, aching, stiff hands.

If I had to sum up how I've come to view my whole approach to managing my PsA (and now fibro too) it's my biologic plus gentle exercise plus a little bit of this and a little bit of that = keeping me ticking along nicely.

So it's a shame you're in Surrey and I'm in Norfolk otherwise we could tackle this together ... and hopefully have a giggle in the process.

Yes I would have loved that. The giggling part especially!

I did the same and have a few sessions with a physio so I do have a routine. I think I'll do what you do get a 'self help kit' and find a health club near by with a nice warm pool - it's just that the aqua pool I go it is a 45 min journey each way - not something you feel like doing each week, especially in the winter.

Also, I've been toying with the idea of a personal trainer. My son-in-law has one who is also a friend. I met him at a BBQ a few weeks ago. He understands my situation and says we would start with 15mins at a time.

(Actually he is also rather gorgeous looking!) - a friend of mine said if I couldn't do the exercises it would do me good just gazing at him!!!

Any hew - I'm off to google my kit. Thank you so much for the advice and support.

Jules G said:

When I first started, which is over two years ago, I did an initial course of six 30 minute sessions with a physio and then kept renewing every six weeks. In just that first six sessions my range of movement improved in my shoulders and my knees strengthened. You need to start gently with only a few repetitions and minimal resistance and build up from there. I think I only realised the true benefit when I had a break for a few weeks over winter (I was a bit of a wimp about going out in the cold when my disease wasn't very well controlled) and stiffened up again.

I spent a few pounds on buying my own 'kit' ... a couple of foam noodles, arm bands, flippers and a float .... to take to use in the pool on holiday. Back in April my physio went on maternity leave so I've joined a local hotel spa, with nice facilities and a lovely warm pool, take my own equipment and run through the routines. I try to go twice a week for about 30 - 45 minutes or so depending on how I'm feeling on the day. I often don't feel like going but I know that regardless of how I feel about it the benefit to my body is huge. The sauna/steam room can be comforting too.

I did the alphabet ankles last night as well. It was fun, not least of which because my cat thought it was a game of toe chasing. I can feel it in my shins this morning. And I do hand exercises. I think there are some images of the exercises I do on the internet. I will look and post them. For grip I have some squares of non-slip shelf mat (kind of like a flat sponge mesh) and I find that is great for improving my grip. Have you asked your GP or rheumy for an occupational health referral? I found that really helpful in terms of getting the hand exercises, some wrist splints plus they can help organise and advise on other aids available to make life easier. My OH physio also did hot wax treatments and that was heavenly for sore, aching, stiff hands.

If I had to sum up how I've come to view my whole approach to managing my PsA (and now fibro too) it's my biologic plus gentle exercise plus a little bit of this and a little bit of that = keeping me ticking along nicely.

So it's a shame you're in Surrey and I'm in Norfolk otherwise we could tackle this together ... and hopefully have a giggle in the process.

Hi again

OMG - I didn't realise how many different types of flippers are out there! Which ones did you get?

E.Rose said:

Yes I would have loved that. The giggling part especially!

I did the same and have a few sessions with a physio so I do have a routine. I think I'll do what you do get a 'self help kit' and find a health club near by with a nice warm pool - it's just that the aqua pool I go it is a 45 min journey each way - not something you feel like doing each week, especially in the winter.

Also, I've been toying with the idea of a personal trainer. My son-in-law has one who is also a friend. I met him at a BBQ a few weeks ago. He understands my situation and says we would start with 15mins at a time.

(Actually he is also rather gorgeous looking!) - a friend of mine said if I couldn't do the exercises it would do me good just gazing at him!!!

Any hew - I'm off to google my kit. Thank you so much for the advice and support.

Jules G said:

LOL, now you say this I remember feeling the same when I first looked!

In the end I chose these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maru-Training-Fins-Green-Black/dp/B00HH9SL7G and although they were a bit more expensive I have been really pleased with them.

For me the deciding factor was the softness of the heel area for getting on/off frequently tender and swollen feet. The fin itself isn't too rigid AND and they are not too long which is what you want when you only need a little resistance. I think they come in other colours but I was happy with the green as it matched a swirl in my swimsuit (as good a reason as any, eh?).

Happy shopping :-)

You are a matchy, matchy like me - I do like to co -ordinate even when exercising! Thank you I'll get them.

Jules G said:

LOL, now you say this I remember feeling the same when I first looked!

In the end I chose these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maru-Training-Fins-Green-Black/dp/B00HH9SL7G and although they were a bit more expensive I have been really pleased with them.

For me the deciding factor was the softness of the heel area for getting on/off frequently tender and swollen feet. The fin itself isn't too rigid AND and they are not too long which is what you want when you only need a little resistance. I think they come in other colours but I was happy with the green as it matched a swirl in my swimsuit (as good a reason as any, eh?).

Happy shopping :-)

If only you knew how "matchy, matchy" .... slight issue today with the tiles and grout in our new bathroom not lining up between the wall tiles and the floor tiles = minor meltdown for this perfectionist!

E.Rose said:

You are a matchy, matchy like me - I do like to co -ordinate even when exercising! Thank you I'll get them.

Oh dear hope it all got sorted to your satisfaction. I've ordered my flippers, float and noodles - all green!

Jules G said:

If only you knew how "matchy, matchy" .... slight issue today with the tiles and grout in our new bathroom not lining up between the wall tiles and the floor tiles = minor meltdown for this perfectionist!

E.Rose said: