Diary of an infection

I saw in the discussion “Why do some rheumatoligists seem reluctant to prescribe biologics?” the mention of opportunistic infections and, as always, see the concerns those new to DMARDS and biologics have about potential infection. And this has reminded me, and @Sybil has also asked me to post, about my recent infection experience. It’s a long one so be warned!

Firstly some background. I was diagnosed in early 2012 and pretty rapidly moved through the DMARDS of methotrexate and leflunomide before a short, ineffective, three month trial of Humira in summer/autumn 2013. Even though the mtx hated me and lef too, eventually, and I was often prostrate with nausea, fatigue and the pain of being in “the gap” my general, non PsA health, remained as robust as it had been all my life.

I started Simponi 50mg monthly in March 2014 and that was when things really began to improve PsA wise. After about 18 months I was moved to the higher monthly dose of 100mg as my then, new, rheumy felt there was still some way to go to be as well as I could/should be. And this dosing has continued to date.

So I can confidently say that in six years of treatment my general health has been pretty good. A couple of normal cold bugs, a stinker last November, and a bit of a suspected urinary tract infection is all I’ve had. Only the week on abx for the suspected uti delayed my Simponi injection.

Once I got over the horrible cold the end of last year, 2018 has been ok. I
suppose, in hindsight, I’d maybe noticed having a bit less energy for a few months but, as we all know, PsA waxes and wanes and I also have the double whammy of a fibromyalgia diagnosis. These days I find just living in the moment is the best way through PsA/FMS for me so something new/different has to give me a slap in the face to get much attention.

Just over a month ago, middle of a Thursday/Friday night, I woke up with pretty awful lower back and hip pain. I wasn’t altogether surprised as I’ve recently had x-rays and MRI’s of my spine, SI joints and hips which showed a few bits and pieces to account for the pain I’d been complaining of the past six months. So, as you do at 3am, I cursed PsA and tried to get back to sleep. Friday morning I took the “b*gger this” approach and swallowed my rescue NSAID, Arcoxia, and carried on.

Over the weekend I felt increasingly unwell, the back/hip pain lessened but I just felt generally unwell. Nothing I could put my finger on so in my mind PsA was the culprit. Then Saturday night the drenching night sweats arrived. By Sunday afternoon I was pretty out of it and telling my husband I needed a doctor first thing Monday.

Thankfully my primary care practice are pretty good and they got me in to see the duty GP mid-morning. I was still thinking this was a PsA flare! She soon dissuaded me of this view when she took my temperature, fever level, and the dip test on a urine sample I’d taken with me was high for protein, which is an indicator for infection. At this point she was reluctant (too reluctant!) to prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic but took bloods for urgent testing and sent me home to take paracetamol/tylenol.

The blood results were in late Tuesday and I picked them up online … ESR, CRP and white blood cells off the scale. This was in marked contrast to absolutely normal range results in my regular monthly blood test just two days before the back/hip pain started. Unfortunately I didn’t get the call back from the GP until lunchtime the next day, Wednesday, when the directive was “you are to get yourself to the hospital immediately, they are expecting you, go to emergency admissions

This was a bit of a shock! Actually that’s an understatement … I had a moment of blind panic not least because I had never been in hospital before in my life! Thankfully my husband was home looking after me anyway so was able to bundle me in the shower, help pack a bag and take me to hospital.

On arrival I was seen within 10 minutes or so, canulas in, blood out, ECG, temperature, blood pressure, oxygen saturation, throat swab, more urine all the standard stuff. Then two doctors for alot of questions and examination … ah huh, crackly lungs, but no, I haven’t had/got a cough! Off for a chest x-ray and then back to be told I was being admitted and treated for suspected flu and/or pneumonia. My night then consisted of hourly observations, iv fluids, iv antibiotics (TAZ and Gentamycin) and iv paracetamol/tylenol along with fans and open windows and no bed linen except for a sheet to try and get my still escalating temperature down. Of course by now the fever had me swinging between the drenching sweats and shivvering cold. I felt pretty out of it and I think I had some barely lucid moments.

All the tests were so far coming up negative for anything conclusive but, bizzarely, I started up with a dry tickly cough that night and a weird “fizzy” sensation in my lungs at the end of an outbreath. Thankfully, because they thought I might be infectious, I was given my own private room/bathroom which, given the effect of the iv antibiotic, was something of a relief. But aside from sickness/diarrhoea I felt substantially better the next morning.

Thursday passed in a blur of continued obs, testing of all bodily output, maintained iv fluids and eventually switching on to oral abx and paracetamol. I even managed to eat a sandwich and drink a cup of tea at supper time. As the day progressed my temperature continued to drop, I felt so much better in myself and I started plotting my escape for Friday!

The consultant visited me Friday morning and after some persuasion he agreed that I was stable enough to return home provided the bloods just taken were normal. My discharge papers arrived shortly after lunch along with MORE antibiotics (doxycycline and amoxicillin) for the following week.

Relieved to be home I was a good, compliant patient, took my abx and rested, ate well and all that good stuff which returned me to feeling pretty well although strict instructions from both the hospital and my rheumy team not to recommence Simponi until 1st August.

BUT a month later (last week), almost to the day, the “fizzy” lungs came back. Along with swollen neck glands and just a slightly elevated temperature. So I have another week of abx, doxycycline and clarithromycin this time. Within 48 hours the “fizz” had stopped. And a follow up chest x-ray this coming Friday.

So I still don’t have a conclusive diagnosis. There may be something in the hospital report from all the swabs and cultures they took, this will be included with the follow-up x-ray report. I still feel blindsided by what has happened to me these past five weeks. In trying to make some sense of it and be more aware in the future there are two key things I’ve done:

1. Purchased a thermal scan ear temperature gauge … I will never, ever, have a fever again and not know it!

2. Purchased a pot of urine test strips so anything out of kilter will have me straight to the doctors.

And the biggest lesson, if all the signs of an infection are there, to push the primary care doc/GP to prescribe abx immediately on the grounds that even if the primary infection is suspected to be viral it is absolutely essential to support the immune system to prevent sepsis or a secondary bacterial infection. From what I understand from the docs at the hospital and my rheumy team I’ve been a pretty lucky lady.

Does this make me anxious about being on a biologic? No! I’m 55 years old and have been on immunosuppressive treatments for six years and this is the first time I’ve had anything like this in my life … I can’t say with certainty the biologic had no part to play but what I do know for sure is that without it I’d be living (miserably) a very different life. Once I finish the abx this week and so long as I feel well, my rheumy team have confirmed they are happy for me to stick with restarting Simponi on 1st August.

When I see the final hospital report I’ll update this post with what it says.

Although I’ve been through the mill I hope the randomness of my experience in the context of my age and duration of PsA treatment goes some way to reassuring anyone worrying about starting treatment with any DMARD/biologic.

PS. In case anyone is wondering @tntlamb the doxycycline has helped my aching joints a bit and, no, I’ve not turned any shade of Smurf blue on only two seven day courses :wink:

2 Likes

Wow! So glad to hear that you’re doing better! That’s quite an experience.

My take away (4 plus years on a biologic btw) is that while it didn’t make you more prone to an infection, the use of meds means that we should be more proactive at any sign of infection.

Personally I’ve been on antibiotics a few times for infected minor wounds, because the infection was spreading quickly, I don’t mess around with those.

My goodness Jules! What a story, and I am so very happy to hear that you’re not only on the mend, but extra vigilant now. A good lesson for all of us. We’re looking forward to a good news update soon.

I can’t say with certainty the biologic had no part to play but what I do know for sure is that without it I’d be living (miserably) a very different life.

The biologic may well have played a part. If it did, that’s unfortunate, and TG the medics caught it and treated it. What we don’t often think about is that NOT getting treated when you have PsA also brings with it a risk of infection. Huh? Seenie’s gone wackadoo, as our own @GrumpyCat used to say. But just hold on a sec …

I look at it this way: I’ve had three joint replacements and a carpal tunnel release compliments of PsA. How many opportunities did I have for very serious infections, including the likes of MRSA? I dodged those bullets, fortunately. But we are not done yet: my remaining hip, which was badly damaged before I got aggressive treatment, will need to be replaced one of these days. And I hope I come through that one unscathed as well.

I guess the bottom line is that as soon as you are diagnosed with PsA, you are into a risk/benefit analysis with all of the treatment choices. And no treatment or conservative treatment has its own set of risks, but we often forget about those.

Get well and stay well, Jules! And thanks again for posting.

I’m happy you’re on the mend.

I have my second sinus infection in six weeks. I’m taking Doxy and had thought about not going further until I see the allergist on 8/8. Not anymore–PCP suspected mastoiditis last time. You reminded me–and my PCP agrees–that with PsA, injecting Humira every week and asthma, I better not mess around.

1 Like

Just a little bit off track here, but just to show that these things can happen even without a biologic (I don’t wish to hi-jack your thread @Jules_G so will keep the story as brief as possible :smile:)

In early Feb my sister (not quite 61) ended up being carted off to hospital with a “chest infection” which proved to be pneumonia. Her condition deteriorated rapidly to septic shock and a secondary heart attack. She ended up in hospital for 2 weeks and she was sent home in a poor condition (unable to even walk a short distance to the toilet without the use of our father’s walking frame), all it up it was 7 weeks from the day she went to hospital before she was able to resume looking after her animals, now she is doing quite well, thankfully!!!

Now, in her case it has been attributed to COPD (I suspect she has PsA, or similar, too… many of the same joint problems as I do, and worse psoriasis, but is not taking any treatment for that), but I just wanted to share that nasty infections can, and do, happen even without biologics or immune suppressant medications, so yes, @Jules_G I feel you are right to not put the blame completely on a biologic.

Edited a few minutes later: Sorry Jules, I did mean to add to this post that I am soo pleased to hear you are on the mend and am keeping fingers crossed for a speedy and full recovery for you!!! BIG HUGS xxx

DMARDs for PsA have been around since the early 1970’s. Biologics have been around since about 2000. With a track record 30 years longer doctors and insurance companies naturally go with the “tried and true” DMARD method first. And cost is figured into that, some biologics are still wildly expensive. But there’s also the idea of not starting with the “big guns” when treating something chronic.

I must admit I agree with that as a general course of action. I’m a believer in “low and slow” meds when tackling a chronic condition. It’s along the same idea of why use a hand gun to kill a fly with a fly swatter will do? Not that you should stick with said fly swatter if it doesn’t get the job done, but you should give it a try before ruling it out.

azurelle

1 Like

Dear god Jules, that’s such a frightening experience and I’m so glad you’re doing better now. As a newbie to biologics, it’s essential information for me too, it just sets a coherance vigilance sort of bar, if that makes sense. Especially since I’m doing good on Benepali just 3 weeks on it. Really rather good indeed.

I’ll be really interested to learn what they think it was. Big hugs.

1 Like

Wow, thanks everyone for your comments and kind wishes. I definitely feel on the mend now.

The whole experience has woken me up to being more proactive ANY TIME I don’t feel well, especially if I can’t say why/where something isn’t right. After all it only takes two minutes to take my temperature and plunge a dip stick in to some urine and maybe a few more minutes to get through to the doctors surgery on the phone :wink:

And my other takeaway, if I feel unwell on a Thursday and still not right on Friday, get straight to the doctors to be checked out (even if it’s only with a nurse practitioner) because “out of hours” ie. weekends here in the UK are an almost impossible nightmare unless you go and spend hours waiting in Accident & Emergency!

I’m sorry to read @janson that your sister had such a severe infection but it’s good that folks do see it can happen to anyone/anytime. So happy she’s back looking after her animals. Hope she stays well.

It was thoughts of my cockapoo puppy (now eight months old) and three cats that I filled my mind with when I could feel the panic rising in hospital. The animals … not my husband who didn’t really cover himself in glory at any point during my illness. D-i-v-o-r-c-e was on my mind when I took in the mess the house was in when I came home!!

3 Likes

That made me giggle as in the mess when you got home. Sadly the man in my life wouldn’t be any better. But so glad now you’re feeling so much better. x

Wow, what a nasty experience, Jules! You must be one tough cookie!
Thanks for the explanation—it reminds us to be careful and to not wait too long to check with the doctor when we’re not feeling well. How quickly things can go south!

That hits home. It’s amazing how a guy (okay, some guys) can completely ignore the mess, even though it’s obvious you’ll need extra rest when you get home and aren’t able to dive into housework right away!

1 Like

Jules, it is so lovely to hear how you are going! And pleased to hear that you seem to be out of the woods - but you are right about being proactive.

As my GP said - “all those Ads about not using antibiotics unless you really need them are not directed AT you, you are the person they are designed to PROTECT”

Needless to say, if I had a dodgy tummy in Africa, I’d be onto the antibiotics within hours - no sitting around for a couple of days to see how it goes. And I was rather happy I had made that decision when later I discovered a particularly nasty tummy bug had been salmonella!

Hey, Jen! Your GP is so right … wish the first one I saw had been a bit more on the ball; getting on abx two days earlier might have avoided the hospital stay.

The whole experience has also made me look at some weird ideas that seem to lurk in my subconscious about “seeing how it goes” and not going to the GP when I probably should because I don’t want to bother them. I realise they boil down to just a small number of experiences going right back to childhood (and at least once as an adult) when anything that ailed me was belittled or dismissed entirely and, bizzarely, something a Math teacher wrote in a school report when I was 11 (or younger) which, on some level, makes me question myself even now. Great teacher, huh!

I think I’ve learned my lesson now, better that I preface a GP appointment with “I’m not sure if this is something to be concerned about so I’d appreciate you checking it out just in case”. It’s not hypochondria but a healthy regard for staying well!

1 Like

@Grandma_J and @Poo_therapy … I’ve just opened my post to find a gift of a book from one of my friends and a note which says “saw this and thought of you”.

The book: The More I See Of Men, The More I Love My Dog

ROFLMAO with tears running down my face …

5 Likes

Yes indeed. I’ve learnt the hard way but not so hard as yours @Jules_G and @Jen75 that it’s best if I’m rather ‘strident’ in my quest for GP intervention. Last summer I suffered not just almost 3 weeks of not just one but two unexplained fractures in my pelvis (unbeknown to anyone including me) but also ridiculous daily phonecalls with my GP who couldn’t ‘examine’ me because I felt unsafe driving just one mile down the road. They sadly prescribed me shedloads of morphine substances for my ‘PsA flare’ too. All without examining me and all without (I’ve no doubt) a cogent reading of my medical history given they each do possibly 50 or more phonecalls to such patients each morning who think they need to see a GP. It’s apparently called ‘triaging’ in 2017 and 2018 which isn’t anything like the dictionary definition of ‘triaging’ in a medical sense.

However when your temperature was a high as yours was @Jules_G or when you were obviously permanently resident in your bathroom @Jen75 given samonella and when I was just in tears with the godawful pain, (sadly often not properly able to make it to the loo, given the extent of the pain drugs I was given over just the phone and the fact I truly couldn’t walk) we’re not always able to as strident as we ought to be, are we?

So all we can do is that later, when we’re more well is to point out what went wrong, politely and definitively. But it so saddens me our world nowadays doesn’t let GP’s just care for us properly. Most of them really want to too.

1 Like

Just so adore this, @Jules_G. The book, I’m now ordering copies:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Just read your experience of the last few weeks, thanks for sharing, we all learn from the experiences of others. Sorry you have had such a rough time but so pleased to hear you are on the mend. Let’s hope the rest of 2018 brings you better health and lots of smiles and laughs. …warm wishes Anne

Thank you for sharing! I had a similar turn of events when I was placed on Acterma. Infection after infection. It turned my life upside down and I refused to be on any medications for 3 years out of fear. Back on meds now. I know there’s risks to biologics, but those risks outweigh joint damage and the pain. I’ve been on most biologics and Acterma was the only one I got very sick with! Happy to hear you’re doing better.