Covid Vaccine-getting it soon

Hi Poo. Hope you are well. Just thought I’d pop in and have a mooch about! I have my second one this coming Friday - also Pfizer, so it’s good to read that someone hasn’t got effects from it. Although I’d rather feel ill for a couple of days than end up in hospital or worse from Covid.

It’s interesting that some rheumys have told people not to take their med before, and some have said it makes no difference. I was told to take benapali as usual.

One other thing I’d mention while I’m here. And I know it’s rather obvious, but I still think we don’t need to forget it when talking about the vaccines. Sometimes, we just would have been ill anyway. I was ill this Friday and Saturday in exactly the same way as some have reported after vaccines - but I hadn’t had one! Sometimes it’s just a coincidence if we’re slightly ill afterwards. After all, how many days a year do we generally feel under the weather anyway as PsA-ers? More than most, especially during a flare up where i’ve been known to feel really (use your own expletive) as the inflammation soars.

1 Like

Doing OK Darinfan. Suffering an Achilles tendon issue not helped by going on a canal boat holiday last week (it was cancelled from last April due to Covid) and frankly we couldn’t have gone at a better time Covid figures wise and just at the beginning of ‘self catering’ travel being permitted. We were on the Llangollen Canel and it was empty which is apparently unheard of. It was therefore magnificent really. We went over those huge aqueducts 125 feet in the air!!! Truly special. And Tesco’s delivered the week’s food and drink directly to the boat. We got brave in Llangollen and bought ourselves an ice cream! Oh and bought ourselves another one at the Grindley Locks near Whitchurch. But that was it. I’ll upload some photos later to entertain everyone.

Back to the vaccine I did end up having a bout of relatively severe diarrhoea last night swiftly stopped by Immodium. Sore arm is much better today and it does seem the diarrhoea is gone too. That for me is a relatively nothing much reaction to the second dose of Pfizer which I have heard many people feel pretty rotten with. As you so rightly say I’d much rather suffer that than suffer Covid for sure. And who knows if the diarrhoea was caused by the vaccine either. It might have been the chilli I cooked from scratch too - though I doubt it. Or it might have been just because I was home from a rather ‘active’ holiday and my body decided to have a little tantrum - far more likely.

Oddly my first vaccine dose got rid of a two month ear blockage issue. Woke up the day after and my ear was perfectly fine and has remained fine ever since. That was a huge plus I can tell you.

So all in all I think I’ve fared just fine with the vaccine. And I’m so grateful. And so relieved. Three weeks from now I’ll be as protected from Covid as it’s possible to be and that will be so, so good.

It does seem to me that other countries are mentally having more a difficulty with the Covid vaccine than us in the UK. I’m on a Cosentyx group which is worldwide and the contortions people are putting themselves through between Cosentyx and a Covid vaccine seems well over the top. The only advice I got was try and not have your vaccine and Cosentyx on the same day. Luckily for me the appts I was given for the vaccine didn’t coincide. The first was a week before I was due to take Cosentyx and Saturday was two weeks after I took Cosentyx.

So best of luck for you with your second dose. Whatever we think about our government, at least they got the vaccine issue right. And looking at the Covid figures now, only 1% of those presently infected (around 1600) have had a vaccine, which is showing the vaccine is working. Which frankly is amazing isn’t it?

It’s wonderful news. And I confess I’m very happy at the thought of worrying a little bit less about the virus in the coming months (fingers crossed), even if I still plan to be as careful as possible.

As for diarrhoea, I would have no clue if it was to do with the vaccine or not - I still get it about every three weeks due to IBS anyway! I also have heard about people feeling rotten with the second dose, but we tend to forget that the people who don’t feel rotten rarely go online to tell us!

I also had my 2nd Moderna vaccine 3 days ago, and had minimal side-effects. Got the covid arm rash about a week after the 1st shot, and a sore arm with this one for the 1st 2 days. Today has been a little rougher with aches and pains and I’m pretty tired - kind of like a yucky PsA day. Interestingly, I also has some issues with diarrhea today as well. Not horrible overall, but just not feeling great. Will likely be better tomorrow.

2 Likes

Thank you

I also likened my reaction to a bad psa day… Achy, fatigued etc

I was actually quoting you in regards to biologics. Vaccines are highly unlikely to result in heart failure, or bad thoughts (Simponi, Otezla).

I don’t know what is worse the anxiety of paying for Tremfya or taking it. The whole bit about trying for a better future than the present was something I needed to hear.

Just a quick update, Had the 2nd shot 5 days ago, yesterday was feeling almost back to normal and today I’m starting to get back to normal (for me anyway). So all in all, not bad. Have a great day everyone!

1 Like

Hi All,
I am currently on Humira injection and was wondering if anyone else on this has had the covid vaccine. I’m in Australia and we are a bit behind US and UK regarding vaccinations.
Thanks in advance.

I would guess everyone on Humira in the UK has has at least one Covid vaccine dose by now. I’ve heard of zero reported problems if that helps.

Had my second jab about 12 hours ago, and no side effects yet. So, I’m hoping I’m not speaking too soon!

2 Likes

Thankyou for your reply. It is good to know. Barge trip looked amazing, certainly on my bucket list.

I disagree with the experimental drug they are injecting everyone with.

1 Like

Hi Anne! It is certainly your decision as to whether or not you get the vaccine. The technology has been worked on for about a decade now, so while it IS new in terms of the widespread use, it is not brand new technology.

That said, working with your doctor is a good plan. As the community levels get lower and lower, and the percentage of people vaccinated in the community increases, it lowers the risk for those who can’t get vaccinated.

Many of us are at increased risk of severe disease because of other conditions. I know that i was sick in November, and I have asthma. I avoided the hospital only because my doctor was aggressive in starting me on steroids and antibiotics. I was much sicker than the rest of my family. I would like to avoid getting sick again, and the vaccine offers longer lasting protection, so I did get it.

This is a few months old, but still very valid - BIG Covid Vaccine Questions

1 Like

I have an excellent rheumy who congratulated me today on getting my second dose of Pfizer. He said that from his experience observing patients that inflammatory arthritis and covid is a very bad mix. Covid can and has been far worse triggering very severe inflammation. @Stoney is right…this technology is not new and in the big picture, a good solution to a growing problem.

2 Likes

But our biologics are also ‘experimental’ using that theory. All medicine is experimental. Because each person can throw up anomalies not seen before to anything even good old paracetemol. Do you know anyone who has died of Covid? Because once you do your attitude changes big time.

3 Likes

Had my second vaccine April 2021. Other than a few days of extra fatigue no other symptoms.

2 Likes

Had my first yesterday (we are a bit slow here in Aus - this was the earliest I could get it). Tummy rash and bit of a sniffly nose. Given the rash am prepared for tomorrow to be rougher, but of course nothing on Covid itself.

2 Likes

hey @jen75, Canada is ahead of everyone now…we can skip the first jab and just go strait to the second one! :wink: Australia should try it too! :crazy_face:

2 Likes