Biologics side effects

My ALT was about 140 at its highest. @darinfan is right, it can be a fair bit higher than the ‘norm’ without indicating a big problem, especially if the other things on the liver panel are not elevated.

A rheumy nurse, a very good one, told me I probably had a ‘psoriatic liver’. Not sure if this is a technical term, but it expressed the fact that PsA can have a lot to answer for. Eventually I too had a liver scan and it showed my liver was fine, probably a lot finer than I deserve.

Have you had any infections recently? Has your PsA or psoriasis been flaring? Tell your doc about anything at all that could have influenced this. Are investigations possible at this time? Personally I wouldn’t lose too much sleep over this elevation but would press on with tying to find answers while being very well-behaved lifestyle-wise.

2 Likes

Had my results from my last blood test. Cutting out benepali and alcohol has returned my ALT to about 40. I did have a drink over Christmas on a couple of occasions, which has caused some sort of reaction in my throat/tongue. I am off the alcohol now and starting benepali again and having another blood test in a few weeks. Hopefully it stays low.

2 Likes

Wow, great news! 40 eh!? What a difference.

You must be feeling very relieved. It’s interesting that alcohol doesn’t seem to agree with you at the moment. I can’t drink these days really, no obvious reactions but even a couple of glasses of wine interfere with sleep and make me feel a bit blah for a couple of days.

3 Likes

That’s good news. Mine was down, too, this time around, which was a bit bizarre as I was taking co-codamol four times a day in the run up to the test as I had bad back problems. That said, this time the neutrophils was low.

I have come to the conclusion over the six years I’ve had blood tests regularly, that if you take a blood test at any one time, often SOMETHING is going to be out. And it could be something as simple as the time of day of the blood test - apparently ALT levels are highest in the afternoon, for example. At the same time, Neuts are also highest in the afternoon - and you WANT them to be higher on a blood test! So, you can’t win.