Anti Inflammatory Meds

The patch did have it. I was just at the store today reading all the ingredients. Now the balm in a jar didn't have it. The balm was only two types of menthol in the ingredients. Here is the patch:

http://www.tigerbalm.com/us/pages/tb_product?product_id=11

Ingredients:
Camphor 80 mg/patch Topical Analgesic
Menthol 24 mg/patch Topical Analgesic
Capsicum Extract 16 mg/patch Topical Analgesic (this is the pepper)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsicum

Stoney said:

Tiger Balm doesn't have pepper in it, unless it was a different formulation than I have gotten in the past. I tried capsaicin cream. I didn't like it much. It made my hot showers very unpleasant.

Lidoderm is prescription only, so you would have to convince someone to rx it for you. That shouldn’t be too difficult to do. If you do decide to try it, make sure you try to get a rx assistance card from the manufacturer. It’s a top tier drug so it’s expensive.

SublimeAmiga said:

It's been about 4 hours now and I can move my shoulder with almost no pain so they did work pretty well for me! I do have a clicking sound in my rotator cuff though. I wouldn't have known that before because I wasn't able to rotate it. I just hope there isn't too much damage to my shoulder by the end of Sept. :( my appointment is Sept 24th. I am going to keep using these patches and hope it helps more. The only other patches I saw at the store were Tiger Balm which contain that pepper in it, Icy Hot (several generic icy hot but, all had menthol), and heat patches.

What store did you find Lidoderm patches? I haven't seen those yet.

GrumpyCat said:

I have met A TON of people that claim really good results from these patches. They are definitely worth a try, and they are pretty affordable. For those who are intolerant to NSAIDs there are also Lidoderm patches. These work great for soft tissue pain (for me), but don't do a lot for my joints. I use a topical compound cream that has fiopofen, lidocaine, gabapentin, cyclobenzaprine, and one other hing that I can't remember off the top of my head. IT IS AMAZING. Better than any pain med I have taken, including the "big guns" like Dilaudid or morphine. Plus it doesn't make me dopey.

Thank you! Until I get my insurance from my new job I am going to a clinic where everything is 100% paid for but, I don't think the prescriptions are. The only drug I know that has an assistance program for low income households is Humira. I need to do some more research!! I won't have my insurance until October 21st.

GrumpyCat said:

Lidoderm is prescription only, so you would have to convince someone to rx it for you. That shouldn't be too difficult to do. If you do decide to try it, make sure you try to get a rx assistance card from the manufacturer. It's a top tier drug so it's expensive.

SublimeAmiga said:

It's been about 4 hours now and I can move my shoulder with almost no pain so they did work pretty well for me! I do have a clicking sound in my rotator cuff though. I wouldn't have known that before because I wasn't able to rotate it. I just hope there isn't too much damage to my shoulder by the end of Sept. :( my appointment is Sept 24th. I am going to keep using these patches and hope it helps more. The only other patches I saw at the store were Tiger Balm which contain that pepper in it, Icy Hot (several generic icy hot but, all had menthol), and heat patches.

GrumpyCat said:

I have met A TON of people that claim really good results from these patches. They are definitely worth a try, and they are pretty affordable. For those who are intolerant to NSAIDs there are also Lidoderm patches. These work great for soft tissue pain (for me), but don't do a lot for my joints. I use a topical compound cream that has fiopofen, lidocaine, gabapentin, cyclobenzaprine, and one other hing that I can't remember off the top of my head. IT IS AMAZING. Better than any pain med I have taken, including the "big guns" like Dilaudid or morphine. Plus it doesn't make me dopey.

Amiga,
Always look for rx cards. I have one for almost every trade name drug I buy. Either my doc or my pharmacist has them. Mom and pop pharmacies are more likely to be on the lookout for these. My pharmacist LOVES it when he can get one for me. Cruise the webpages for the manufacturers. Most offer a discount card of some kind.

I also mentioned a topical compound cream on another thread. This is great for folks who can’t take oral NSAIDs. They usually do contain an NSAIDs, but you avoid all of the GI distress that comes with taking the meds orally. It’s also possible that the doctor can rx it without the NSAID. There are also a couple of patches that are NSAID patches: Flector and Voltaren come to mind right now.

SublimeAmiga said:

Thank you! Until I get my insurance from my new job I am going to a clinic where everything is 100% paid for but, I don't think the prescriptions are. The only drug I know that has an assistance program for low income households is Humira. I need to do some more research!! I won't have my insurance until October 21st.

GrumpyCat said:

Lidoderm is prescription only, so you would have to convince someone to rx it for you. That shouldn't be too difficult to do. If you do decide to try it, make sure you try to get a rx assistance card from the manufacturer. It's a top tier drug so it's expensive.

SublimeAmiga said:

GrumpyCat said:

As much as it pains me to say it check with walgreens. They have an incredible discount progrsm. Some up to 90% off. Also I would bet the clinic you are going to has a 340B program.. or can refer you to one. Meds are priced based on your slde scale. There are a bajillipn ways to get affordable meds.

This discussion is fascinating to me. I can't use most of the over the counter rubs because they contain salicylates, and I'm allergic to aspirin, so none for me (I'm also allergic to naproxen, which is hidden in a bunch of things too).

After my bleeding incident I've been only able to take NSAID's rarely (ie, not a long term therapeutic level).

I've only recently been hearing from various sources about topicals like Voltaren gel. So Lamb, these get absorbed at about 10% compared to oral? Do you have any info on increased bleeding problems with regular usage, like oral NSAID's?

How much of the body is safe to cover at one time? Even if absorption is at 10% of oral NSAID's, it seems it would still be possible to use too much.

I've used Capsicum Extract spray before, and it was great for simply overloading pain pathways for awhile (knee, wrist, or low back). But it did spread on my clothes, and ended up on other things in the laundry, and is hard to get rid of. I saw SublimeAmiga post that Tiger Balm has a Capsicum containing patch, now that's interesting, might keep it in one place.

I've seen several here reference lidocaine patches. Does the lidocaine soak in and help deeply, or is it just for more surface hurts? And do you find you overdo it or injure the area that is numbed?

ps: my go to topical treatment is Thermacare patches...just heat. I slap them all over. I should buy stock in the company I use so many!! Protip: I put the adhesive side on my clothes, not my skin. That way I don't get skin irritation which could lead to psoriasis.

Right now, I belong to a special place here called the Southern Illinois Healthcare Foundation. It is income based for me and I only pay $15 to see my regular doctor. Then when she writes me a prescription I get it filled at IGA and they have a discount prescription program called Plan B where I get mine cheaper than the RX discount cards.

Yes I heard of the topical steroids, I mentioned that a few posts back on here. :-) I was going to ask my doctor for that for sure! I will ask about the patches too! Thank you!!

GrumpyCat said:

Amiga,
Always look for rx cards. I have one for almost every trade name drug I buy. Either my doc or my pharmacist has them. Mom and pop pharmacies are more likely to be on the lookout for these. My pharmacist LOVES it when he can get one for me. Cruise the webpages for the manufacturers. Most offer a discount card of some kind.

I also mentioned a topical compound cream on another thread. This is great for folks who can't take oral NSAIDs. They usually do contain an NSAIDs, but you avoid all of the GI distress that comes with taking the meds orally. It's also possible that the doctor can rx it without the NSAID. There are also a couple of patches that are NSAID patches: Flector and Voltaren come to mind right now.

SublimeAmiga said:

GrumpyCat said:

SublimeAmiga said:

GrumpyCat said:

Yes 340B is what they stamp on all my prescriptions :-) I guess what I need to do is find out if the Carle Clinic in Champaigne is going to be able to stamp 340B on my prescriptions.

tntlamb said:

As much as it pains me to say it check with walgreens. They have an incredible discount progrsm. Some up to 90% off. Also I would bet the clinic you are going to has a 340B program.. or can refer you to one. Meds are priced based on your slde scale. There are a bajillipn ways to get affordable meds.

Wow. Today is the first day in months that I woke up without shoulder pain. Those Salonpas REALLY worked!

So happy to hear that!!!

SublimeAmiga said:

Wow. Today is the first day in months that I woke up without shoulder pain. Those Salonpas REALLY worked!