What would you do to comfort a sick friend?

"What would you do to comfort a sick friend?"

Aside from the usual bouquet of flowers and basket of fruits, I'd like to hear your suggestions, especially from patients, as you would know from your end what cheers up a sick person.

I will be compiling the answers on a future write-up.

A sort of what would "do unto others as you would have them do to you" affair. :-)

Listen. Actively and empathetically. Give them the gift of "talking it out", and don't feel that you need to provide answers or solutions. So often those of us with chronic conditions are hesitant to talk about our suffering, for fear of boring or upsetting others.

A plug here: that's the beauty of this forum -- we share and we talk to people who really understand!

I usually call or drop by every couple of days to see if they need any help and bring them supper at least once.

I second what Seenie said!

And I'd personally rather have the money that would be spent on flowers be put toward medical expenses or toward a gift card to the pharmacy or grocery store at which I shop.

A card in the mail with an encouraging note or just a note that lets them know I'm thinking about / praying for them.

A meal (that meets their dietary restrictions) dropped off at their house or stopping by with a bag of grocery "essentials" (milk, eggs, fruit, chocolate).

A visit during which I do some housework, entertain kids while they take a nap, or make a cup of tea/coffee and encourage them to sit and RELAX for a bit. I've been known to visit a sick friend, wash their dishes, and leave with their children and a couple loads of laundry, allowing them to rest while I entertain their kids and do their laundry.

What great friends you are! I don't think there is much I can add!

nym said:

I second what Seenie said!

And I'd personally rather have the money that would be spent on flowers be put toward medical expenses or toward a gift card to the pharmacy or grocery store at which I shop.

A card in the mail with an encouraging note or just a note that lets them know I'm thinking about / praying for them.

A meal (that meets their dietary restrictions) dropped off at their house or stopping by with a bag of grocery "essentials" (milk, eggs, fruit, chocolate).

A visit during which I do some housework, entertain kids while they take a nap, or make a cup of tea/coffee and encourage them to sit and RELAX for a bit. I've been known to visit a sick friend, wash their dishes, and leave with their children and a couple loads of laundry, allowing them to rest while I entertain their kids and do their laundry.

You guys are wonderful!

Over and above all of the great suggestions already said, if you really wanted to spend some money on someone, a gift certificate for a house cleaning is a great idea for those that are unable to do it themselves, or do not have someone to do it for them.