Upset and confused about ultrasound results

Some people are totally sero-negative, and rely on good ultrasound tech and symptoms…

Ultrasound is NOT necessary. What is required is an experienced diagnostician who looks at the whole picture.

1 Like

If only…
I was just thinking to monitor inflammation and disease progression…
A lot of Reumy’s just want to go by blood work and write prescriptions.

Maybe I’m in the minority. My disease control is monitored by blood work, self report, and physical exam. All inflamed joints are noted as well as range of motion. My blood work is done every three months but isn’t particularly useful as I’m seronegative. I don’t even have an elevated sed rate. X rays are done as needed.

I sometimes get the feeling that I’m very lucky that I found this particular rheumatologist so quickly. I was diagnosed quickly even without blood work that supported it, and have been treated aggressively enough.

3 Likes

Yes, you are lucky, I have a Rheumy that is trying to Dx me after being on biologics for a 1 1/2 years, gee maybe it is working?

1 Like

My experience is the same as @Stoney’s. I’m seronegative and haven’t had an ultrasound. My rheumy (second since diagnosis–first moved to Sweden) is swayed more by my self-report of functioning and swelling than by imaging. I’ve had one set of xrays (hands and feet) and one MRI in 5 years (and the MRI was to establish a baseline of disease progression in hands. All imaging said no erosions but bone spurs out the wazzoo.