Treatment for scar tissue after surgery

Has anyone had a Treatment for scar tissue, after a surgery? I have scar tissue from a laminectomy (L2-S1). Has anyone had treatment for scar tissue

I had scar mobilization done on my thumb after surgery last summer. Because it was my hand, it was done by an OT. But I think a PT would do this, if necessary. It also may depend on how long ago the surgery was.

I'm afraid of that. It was 4 years ago. I'm going to see what my pain doctor comes up with, in the meantime, I'm going to see what I can do

I’m not understanding … what’s the problem with the scar tissue? Does it hurt? (Goes to show how much I know! :wink:

It can be too tight, and cause a lot of pulling and pain. There can also be problems with the area being oversensitive, so that even a shirt rubbing against it can cause a lot of discomfort. That's probably not the issue four years post surgery, but the pulling can feel really bad. Scar tissue is less stretchy than regular tissue. I had a lot of problem with pain from scar tissue after my first back surgery, but not the second. The difference? I started PT right away after the second one.

Seenie said:

I'm not understanding ... what's the problem with the scar tissue? Does it hurt? (Goes to show how much I know! ;-)

Ouch, that sounds awful. I have lots of scars, but nothing like that – I’m feeling lucky!

My scar tissue is on my low back spinal incision. I had a sepsis infection after surgery and was bedridden for months. The scar tissue does pull and keeps me from bending, moving, I have sciatica caused by the constriction. Yes, it’s painful.

That makes perfect sense then, that the scar tissue tightened up. There may still be options, including ultrasound and gentle stretching and manipulation that may at least improve things. It's definitely worth looking into.

Andy said:

My scar tissue is on my low back spinal incision. I had a sepsis infection after surgery and was bedridden for months. The scar tissue does pull and keeps me from bending, moving, I have sciatica caused by the constriction. Yes, it's painful.

I have been to PT and they helped some, but they are afraid to get too aggressive. They also used ultrasound. The doctor doing my injections, said it is rather bad. I go back July 10, until then I have my tens unit on it, using a foam roller, and stretching. It's been 4 years since my surgery, and I'm tired of struggling with immobility and pain. My PsA is controlled very well with MTX amd Enbrel.

Stoney said:

That makes perfect sense then, that the scar tissue tightened up. There may still be options, including ultrasound and gentle stretching and manipulation that may at least improve things. It's definitely worth looking into.

Andy said:

My scar tissue is on my low back spinal incision. I had a sepsis infection after surgery and was bedridden for months. The scar tissue does pull and keeps me from bending, moving, I have sciatica caused by the constriction. Yes, it's painful.