Tired all the time

Hi! I'm 43 and I feel like I'm going on 100.I'm so tired of hurting and by tired I mean literally tired. All I want to do is sleep.no energy... Not sure how to get out of this slump. Just hurt sooooo bad... Feel like I'm neglecting my responsibilities to my house and family....

Nelly , I so know how you feel., I don’t do any cooking or housework , haven’t for three mos. this flare continues, can’t even do things for myself or stand up on my own… Doc says I have depression, so with that and bad anemia , no wondering sleep comes …have you checked for anemia.

Sybil has some great advice! For me too, that crushing exhaustion was because the disease was not controlled (either no meds or the wrong ones).

Poor disease control also leads to depression for me - those little TNFs really have some things to answer for when there are too many of them! Once I got a medication that worked (anti-TNF biologic), both the exhaustion and depression lifted rapidly.

I’ll see if I can find an article on the TNF - depression link and post it in the research section tomorrow.

I have EXTREME fatigue and struggle with it every day. I finally got my rheumy and GP on board to address my fatigue and started taking Nuvigil. It worked amazingly well - I felt normal again. However, it also made me so nauseous that I had to stop taking it. On Monday I met with my GP and we decided to reduce the 100 mg dose to 25 mg a day with Zantac twice a a day for a week then add 25 mg per week. If that doesn't work I'm going to try Provigil. I believe you can get a free trial of both - just go to their website. There's also an article "How to Talk to Your Doctor About Fatigue" that is posted on this forum. Just search for it using the upper right corner box. If you can't find it, let me know.

warmly,

Frances

Nelly,

Sorry you're feeling so fatigued. As you've seen from the responses here, you aren't suffering alone. Sybil is right that the activity of your disease can lead to really debilitating fatigue. You really must talk to your doctor about this. You may need some other kind of intervention, even in the short term, to get you through this.

And please try to not beat yourself up. Being sick is no joke and while you might not be able to do as much as you used to, taking care of yourself when you're ill is as important as doing the dishes. So try not to add stress and worry on top of your fatigue. See who, in your immediate support group, can help you out. Ask a friend to put a couple of loads of laundry in the washing machine or to pick up groceries for you. If you're sick you must rest. But you MUST tell your doctor what's going on! Hope things start to look up for you soon.

Thanks guys for all the advice. I currently take 10 methotrexate once a week and humira injections once a week. I take prednisone as needed and still am struggling… I really try just is hard. I am anemic also and take meds already for depression… I feel like a walking medicine cabinet… I guess I’m just gonna have to pick myself up and get motivated. Its nice to know I have support from you guys who understand the disease… Thanks…

it IS really hard. Sometimes it is easier. Sometimes it gets hard again. Hang in there. Ask for help. You may need to up your prednisone (ask your doctor). Yes, please, do pick yourself up (gently) but seek help at the same time. Best to you!