Tattoos?

Anyone get a tattoo while having active disease activity / on a biologic?

I've always wanted tattoos, but have been afraid they would never heal properly (sometimes called tattoo rejection) because of my PsA, or that it would trigger a psoriasis patch to form in that area due to skin injury.

I'm curious if anyone out there has had that experience, or alternately had no problems.

I have very little psoriasis, so I may not be a good example. I got my last tattoo after I was diagnosed, with no trouble. I have never been on a biologic, but was on a DMARD at the time.

Here's a thought. Why don't you ask for a really tiny something or other, in order to test it out, and then wait 6 months or so. You could ask the tattoo artist to make a small circle in a hidden area that is skin color. How's that for an idea?

I've had two family members who have a first outbreak of P after getting a first tattoo -- both are young ppl., 'hipsters' if you will, in their mid-20s, which seems to be the average age of people getting tattoos One of them also had a patch of P break out in and around her ear piercings and belly button piercing.

I'm too old to get a tattoo, but used to think of getting a clover when I was in my 20s -- the worry over Koebner syndrome stopped me.

I've had PsA most of my life and have a bunch of tattoos. I wasn't on any meds when I got the tattoos.

I'm planning on getting another tattoo or two, but will most likely get something small or one of my existing tattoos touched up to see how my body responds before getting something bigger.

I’m on MTX and Remicade, got a tattoo a month ago and in May. I had no problems. Go to a clean shop and keep it clean and you should have no problems. :slight_smile: I looked it all up and asked people when I was thinking about it too. Pic is the one I got last month.
623-image.jpg (1.83 MB)

I’m a tattoo artist and suffer from PSA so I’m familiar with this. My PSA was a sudden onset about two years ago. Prior to this I had no psoriasis. I have many tattoos and never a problem but after the onset of PSA it’s been a different story. I started a tattoo about a year ago and psoriasis set in during the healing process and has continued to get worse. It’s washed out most of the tattoo and of course created a new patch of psoriasis. Worst of all when my PSA flares the joints in that arm closest to the tattoo swell worse then any others. I also noticed while getting the tattoo I experienced much more discomfort them usual.

I’d stay far away from causing any skin trauma. You have to remember that a tattoo is an open wound. To a PSA sufferer a wound is psoriasis sentence.

Hi

I have had a few tattoos over the years, and had no probs, at all. After reading Markmann's post and his trouble, it makes me think that PsA, yet again, affects us all differently. Good luck with your choice Marietta and I do hope if you choose to go ahead that you can provide a picture. Oh and Leahdc, nice tattoo :)

Thanks!!

Juniper said:

Hi

I have had a few tattoos over the years, and had no probs, at all. After reading Markmann's post and his trouble, it makes me think that PsA, yet again, affects us all differently. Good luck with your choice Marietta and I do hope if you choose to go ahead that you can provide a picture. Oh and Leahdc, nice tattoo :)

marcmann's post hits the nail on the head. I realize the OP was really hitting at infections possibilities while using a biologic but the fact is one of the things every PsA patient needs to remember is this thing called the Koebner phenomenon .

In a nut shell the overactive immune response that causes PsA is triggered by trauma. Skin trauma is the most common. Hard to believe a bad sun burn is the thing that for many triggered our disease but sadly its well documented. These boards are full of flares and disease onset caused by life events accidents etc.

In any event, if you are on an immune suppressing drug (predi, biologic or DMARD) check with your Doc before getting a tat some will have you back off others may not (it really depends on you) Even if its a clean shop new needles new ink etc, you will be walking around with an open wound with a foreign body in it for a while afterwards Realize you may trigger a rather unpleasant event..............

Marcmann1975 said:

I'm a tattoo artist and suffer from PSA so I'm familiar with this. My PSA was a sudden onset about two years ago. Prior to this I had no psoriasis. I have many tattoos and never a problem but after the onset of PSA it's been a different story. I started a tattoo about a year ago and psoriasis set in during the healing process and has continued to get worse. It's washed out most of the tattoo and of course created a new patch of psoriasis. Worst of all when my PSA flares the joints in that arm closest to the tattoo swell worse then any others. I also noticed while getting the tattoo I experienced much more discomfort them usual.

I'd stay far away from causing any skin trauma. You have to remember that a tattoo is an open wound. To a PSA sufferer a wound is psoriasis sentence.

I’ll chime in in this one as I once had a hope of tattooing my back. Now, I have a half finished tattoo on my left rib cage that will probably never be finished. Granted, it’s a pretty large piece requiring several sittings, but I have noticed that anytime I get new ink, I develop psoriasis plaques in it.

When I brought this up to my derm, he told me about reaction that Lamb describes and recommended not getting any more tattoos. This was several years ago, and at that time, if I had the funds to continue, I had planned on ignoring this advice. Now? I’m not so sure. I am barely okay half of the time and anything seems to set off a flare of PsA. My psoriasis is definitely under control, and even when it wasn’t, it didn’t really bother me, but I am scared witless of what my body might do for revenge if I were to get on the table again.

I am tempted regularly to get my tattoo finished, but I can’t bring myself to intentionally cause a flare.

I wanted to add a few things. Tntlamb is completely correct about Koebner, it’s important to read up on. It is important to remember that PSA effects everyone very differently so does reactions to meds. Again I am a tattoo artist and I must warn you that sterility is a real concern. Most shops now use pre sterile needles, tubes and tips. We’ve had these tested and found that not all of them were sterile. The paper towels we use to wipe are non sterile as well. Stencil stuff is often used to apply the stencil to skin, this is basically liquid underarm deodorant. The thermal printers used to print the stencils are also non sterile and an attractor of dust, dirt, and germs. Green stuff is a surgical soap but take a look at the bottle it’s in. The long straws are rarely cleaned and are easy to see are cloudy. While ink is sterile those little cups aren’t.

I’m not trying to be negative but these are real concerns for anyone getting a tattoo, more so to people with a lowered immune system. A properly trained tattoo artist will even ask if you have any conditions or are on any medications prior to ever touching your skin.