Sclerosis of the margins of the sacroiliac joints

That was the Xray findings in 2008. I was treated for this for 2 years using Humira and methotrexate. That's what they precibed to keep it from getting any worse. I have been out of treatment for nearly 3 Years. How much worse could it have gotten. The pain before was NOTHING compared to what it is now. There have been 2 separate times over the past couple of years that I have had a flare in that joint that has had me lying on my tummy for over a month just trying to breathe through it. I am sort of nervous to see what new scans would show. Every time the flare would ease I would be left in more pain permanently than I was before. At this point everything that I do is more difficult. Its gonna be ugly, isn't it?

I'm curious. . . Why did you stop treatment? Is the plan to get you back on treatment? Hopefully the damage is not too severe at this point, and medication will be able to slow this all down.

I lost insurance and couldn't afford to carry on with it myself. I do have insurance again and the plan is def to continue treatment asap. I was just wondering if anyone knows how bad it can get if left untreated. What is the typical acceleration rate?

Everything is so individual. You will start from where you are, and don't worry about what has happened in the meantime.

How bad can it get? How bad is it now? It'll get better with treatment. There is only 5 degrees of movement in the SI on a good day. How fast will it acclerate? No One knows.

However as Stoney said you are where you are. Where you are going is What matters. I got roped into teaching statistics to a finance class a few years ago. I found a perfect way out of it. These kids were going nuts building models making predictions etc based on past performance of stocks. (there were a lot of programs being sold as well to help people do the same. So I told the class (these were seniors and 1st year MBa students. Instead of class on friday I would buy beer and Pizza for all. We were to meet at the motor pool and would take a University Van. They all showed up on time and we loaded up when they noticed a problem. the front window was painted black.. I assured them all was well all they needed do is decide WHO would drive. after all the rearview mirror was still functioning. With a perfect view of where they had been, there should be no problem getting to Mackenzie River Pizza.

Hind-site is NOT 20 -20 (sounds good though.) No matter how you cut it you are looking backwards you have no way of knowing what the effects of what appears to be the perfect decision would have been (most of the time.)

I don't mean to be a smart ass, but sclerosis is not the worst of your possible problems. People pay tens of thousands of dollars for spinal stabilization surgery in the SI region. You're getting it for free. You will be amazed however how quickly you will get to feeling better with some work. Drugs therapy, heat/cold stretches etc.The pain comes from inflamation (mostly) NOT the sclerosis (mostly).

Heather said:

I lost insurance and couldn't afford to carry on with it myself. I do have insurance again and the plan is def to continue treatment asap. I was just wondering if anyone knows how bad it can get if left untreated. What is the typical acceleration rate?