Received Click Pen Rather Than Syringe

This month I was given, by mistake on my doctors part, the click pen versus the pre filed syringe I usually get. The pharmacy said there is nothing they can do since I already picked it up and the prescription was written for the click pen (my doctors mistake)

I hate the click pens. They hurt a lot. Who here used the click pens? Who used the pre filled syringes? Why do you use what you use?

Any advice on how to make it less painful since I am stuck with them?

1 Like

I use click pens, it s ok, not a lot to it versus prefilled. Nice to hear from you,

1 Like

Thanks. Same to you!

My preference is for the prefilled the click pens hurt with the syringe you can control the flow rate.

3 Likes

I agree. With the prefilled syringes you can go as slow as needed.

I hate to skip a whole month due to this mix up so I might have to suck it up and inject the pens. I’m no happy at all.

2 Likes

I use enbrel, and switched to the prefilled syringes. Being able to control the rate makes a huge difference. Sorry you got the pen this time.

3 Likes

Thanks. Me too.

Just responded to you message and I hope it helps. Please don’t skip a month as that simply helps ensure the med won’t work for you. And that’s silly really isn’t it?

2 Likes

I’ve only used the click pen and the slight discomfort for 10 seconds takes my my mind off of my foot pain. I definitely would not skip a dose.

1 Like

I long time ago I worked as a pharmacy technician, like a nurse who helps a pharmacist or druggist. I was cleaning out old expired medication and that involved discharging old Epipen pens. I was distracted and injected the needle up through my thumb and out my thumb nail. It was so painful. Luckily the medication came out the needle on the other side of my thumb or I would have lost my thumb. After a few check ups and shots I was cleared. Ever since then I am afraid of the pens. I hate not being able to control the medication or see how its working.

I’ll give it a shot, I mean I dont have a choice.
Thank you all for your help.

1 Like

Wow. That was no big deal. I had some anxiety before hand but my husband helped. No pain at all.

6 Likes

So pleased for you and well done you and your husband for getting you over that anxiety.

On another forum someone likened Cosentyx pens as the Roll Royce of injector pens. For me this far now trying 3 different biologics, he was spot on. Its the best pen I’ve experienced. No stinging, no nothing, just push it all in.

So thrilled for you @amielynn38.

2 Likes

Wow, from your history I now totally understand why such reluctance on the click pens! What an experience.

I used the click pens at the start because I had a mild fear of needles - easier because you can’t actually see it enter your flesh.

Humira stung a bit as it went in, but I found wiggling my toes was enough to minimise that.

Stelara is amazing. Hardly feel a thing!

1 Like

I laughed so hard at “Roll Royce of injector pens!” It’s true!

Thanks @Jen75. I did have a mild panic attack. Of course this year has kept my anxiety at the boiling point, as I am sure it has for everyone. Now I am ok with them. Well this one! I can’t say that for other biologics, lol!
I was on Stelara too, pre filled. That was a great med. It didnt work for me but the drug itself was easy and painless.

3 Likes

I use the click pen as that is what was prescribed. I use ice on the site to deaden it before I take it. I don’t feel the needle go in this way, but agree that the way it goes in so fast causes it to sting a lot. I give it a good run afterwards and it doesn’t last long. Best wishes.

2 Likes

What drug is it? Aren’t you on Coscentyx? I am getting the syringes, but when I got some of the pens that she gave me from her free samples, they were great! I was going to ask to change to the pen, the only draw back is they are huge, and fill up the sharps container really fast. But it was a lot less painful for some reason, usually I hate the pens because you don’t know when they will strike! This one is gentle.

3 Likes

Cosentyx simply doesn’t sting though.

1 Like

Yes, Cosentyx. I had the syringes but my issue is I would leave them out for only 30 mins then inject. I didnt know you could leave them out longer. My “sting” was the cold.

3 Likes

I have done Cosentyx, Enbrel, and now Humira. All in the click pens. I shoot them in the top of my leg and do not have a problem with any. The Enbrel burned a little.