Prednisone- Morning or Night?

I am currently taking 5 mg of Prednisone along with 200mg/2X a day for psoriatic arthritis, sjogrens, and fibro. I usually take the pred at night. Is there any advantage to taking it in the morning instead? Also if anyone is taking plaquenil- how long until you felt a difference? Almost daily by the end of the day I am in a great deal of pain- is this typical too? Could it be because I am at work and distracted and once home I relax? Just looking for some info. Hope all is well!

You're taking 200 mg/2x per day of plaquenil?

The 5 mg of prednisone is a pretty low dose. I was told to take the prednisone before 10 am, as it tends to rev you up, and I've read that taking it later in the day can make give you insomnia. But at 5 mg, I wonder if that would be a concern. Ask your pharmacist about that.

Yes, pain at the end of the day is typical, for me, anyway. It's probably partly distraction, but also muscle strain from guarding yourself. And your joints and ligaments are sore.

As for plaquenil, I have not had any bad or good effects yet, almost ten weeks after starting. Oh, I have not contracted malaria, I guess that's good. (JOKE! -- plaquenil's other use is as an antimalarial.)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, Achy!

Thanks Seenie,
You were right, 400 of plaquenil. It’s helpful to know pain at the end of the day is not uncommon. Hope it’s not too bad for you. The vicodin is not working so well. Have a good night.

I take more prednisone than you, but I’d definitely say the morning is the best time, pred mimics cortisol and your own body produces a surge of that first thing in the morning. If you can’t find another way to reduce the inflammation, then pred can be very useful.

Earlier on in the day works best. As the others said, it’s a good boost in the morning!

My Dr. told me to take the pred in the morning. He told me that it would interfere with my natural production later in the day.

Achy - I've been on 5mg of prednisone for about 10 years - I also take 400Mg of Plaquenil. I take the prednisone first thing in the morning - as well as the plaquinil. I take it all at once, as my Dr. says that it is fine to do so. If I took the prednisone at night - I would probably have issues sleeping. I added Simponi 2 months ago, and it seems to be helping with the fatigue - just not much with the pain so far - but I'm hopeful.

Thanks- has the prednisone made you gain weight or make it difficult to lose it? People have talked about using prednisone, but everyone seems to take much more. I’m not on anything for the fatigue, but I am takine- tramadol- extended release- not sure if it’s working or not. Doctors not giving you anything for pain?

It only makes you gain weight if you eat more! I was taking 20mg of prednisone and I did feel hungry but with a bit of mind over matter you can ignore it. I’ve dropped the dose and the hunger it caused has gone.