Mood Helpers

I just got done reading an article about smaller but by no means less, mood enhancers. I have been on an anti-depressant long before I knew PsA can cause depression and long before I knew I had PsA. And like everyone else I like to be on as few meds as possible. Rather than adding more anti-depressant in the dark of Vermont winters I have been looking at other, non-medication ways of mood enhancing. I will stay on my anti-depressant, I just want a little more of a boost this time of year.

This is what I am trying and I will let you know if it works:

Smiling- Research shows it actually lifts your mood, and perhaps the person you smile at. I have never been much of a smiler. I think I was ashamed of my teeth. So I bought some whiting strips and used them. Now I give myself a quota of smiles to give most days.

Sun shine- research shows it has a dramatic effect. I am aiming for 30-40 minutes a day.

Counting my blessings- It has been shown looking at what good happens in a day is more beneficial than dwelling on what went wrong. I use to do this with my kids at the end of the day when whining was in it's zenith. "Tell me what was the best part of your day" Followed by "how did you feel?" Did wonders to bring their focus back to positives before sleep.

What works for you?

I do a bunch of things:

I have regularly scheduled outings with others: a Meetup group twice a month, and a once a month book group. In addition to that, every week the parents of the kids in my son's orchestra meet at the local wine bar while the kids are in orchestra (it's from 6:30-8pm), and several of us have kids in the same school, and we chat. If I don't see other people, and am 'forced' to shower, get dressed neatly, and interact in an outgoing way, I can slide into depression and not making an effort pretty quickly. Also, if I can't make it to any of these events, I don't get as upset because I know they are recurring and I'll make the next one.

Here in the Pacific NW, winter means no sun much of the time. I try and keep most of the house lights on (we've switched to efficient bulbs, so not as expensive as it used to be), the radio on, and make an effort to catch up on phone calls with people I can't see in person.

Even with all these things, it can be very tough. I can't increase my antidepressant more or I get side effects, so I do these little things to keep going and feel better about life.

I am grateful every single day for many things, and really do think about what I'm grateful for throughout the day.

I find the best thing is to get out into nature! A good hike in the mountains really does a lot, and moving is so beneficial as well.
Also keeping a sense of humour, being able to find humour is the toughest situations is probably a strong point of mine.

I have heard of these lamps that people have used for depression, I am curious about them and wondering if they work.

We light candles. A lot of candles. If I have trouble going to sleep I do the ABC’s of gratitude. You simply name a thing you’re grateful for for each letter of the alphabet. Ellen swears it works for her. I just get stuck on a letter and get mad because I can’t think of anything that begins with, say, K. I agree about the sun where possible.

I have a secret weapon for waking before daylight: an electronic timer on a light in the bedroom. I set the timer to come on about 15-20 minutes ahead of when I have to get up. The timer turns on the light (typically a very low wattage bulb) and in about 10-15 minutes after it has come on it will have penetrated my eyelids and convinced my brain that the sun is up. It makes rising before sun-up a little easier and far less jarring than the blaarg blaarg blaarg of my iPhone vibrating on the bedside table. I have mild seasonal affective disorder and this technique is very helpful in keeping my mood a little more upbeat on the mornings I need to get up very early and dawn is still far, far, from the horizon–you know, like 7:45 in mid-February.

I have the moonbeam clock from LL Bean. It lights up brighter and brighter over time until eventually the alarm goes off. It helps me wake more gradually. I think the timer on a normal light might be cheaper...never thought of that :)

janeatiu said:
I have a secret weapon for waking before daylight: an electronic timer on a light in the bedroom. I set the timer to come on about 15-20 minutes ahead of when I have to get up. The timer turns on the light (typically a very low wattage bulb) and in about 10-15 minutes after it has come on it will have penetrated my eyelids and convinced my brain that the sun is up. It makes rising before sun-up a little easier and far less jarring than the blaarg blaarg blaarg of my iPhone vibrating on the bedside table. I have mild seasonal affective disorder and this technique is very helpful in keeping my mood a little more upbeat on the mornings I need to get up very early and dawn is still far, far, from the horizon--you know, like 7:45 in mid-February.