Medical Alert Bracelet

A possible medication that could require a medic alert bracelet would be long-term steriods at high enough levels to suppress your adrenal-corticoid system. Whilst the emergency response with or without Enbrel or MTX is likely to be the same, a life-threatening injury may require steroids in a suppressed person, in order to prevent fatal shock.

A couple paramedic friends of mine suggested adding PsA / TNF Inhibitor to my medical alert bracelets because, although it wouldn't effect what they do as far as life-saving measures goes, it could make a difference to the Emergency Department doctors and what they use to treat me, and how they assess me.

Also, listing celiac can be important to doctors as well - if I was ever in a condition where I was in a coma and couldn't feed myself, I'd be fed by g-tube. G-tube formulas can contain gluten, and should I be fed gluten, it could make me seriously ill. There are also medications that contain gluten.

Yes, Jen, good point. People on high dose steroids should have an emergency steroid pack with injectable steroid. When a person is ill or injured, more steroid may be needed, and for sure the steroid needs to be kept up in the hospital. The pharmacy should give you a steroid card with your prescription. If not, ask them for one for your wallet. Thank you for bringing this to light, Jen. A close relative will know what you are taking, hopefully, and can communicate as well. Which reminds me, I should make a med list for my spouse's wallet.

Jen said:

A possible medication that could require a medic alert bracelet would be long-term steriods at high enough levels to suppress your adrenal-corticoid system. Whilst the emergency response with or without Enbrel or MTX is likely to be the same, a life-threatening injury may require steroids in a suppressed person, in order to prevent fatal shock.

The standard procedure for emergency medical responders is to check the wrist, neck and ankles for any identifying information that a medical condition exists. Generally, the identifying jewelry will have the Star of Life imprinted on it which is the internationally recognized medical alert symbol known to the medical responder. Unfortunately, the available space for engraving on the jewelry does not often lend itself to making the details known. In situations where it is desired to convey additional information we recommend engraving the words similar to "See Wallet Card."

Medical alert identification jewelry is certainly a very important first step it but may not be all that is needed. In an emergency, when you may be unable to communicate your needs, it is more important to carry detailed information on your medications, allergies and medical conditions. So, the two work together. Both are important as the medical responder will first identify that there is a medical condition and next is instructed to look further for the details.

Our company has a strong commitment to keeping you safe through the innovation of our medical alert products and personal health records. For members of this forum, we have created a means for you to receive a free Emergency Medical Card. There is no obligation of you. Your medical information can be added on-line, saved for future use, updated as needed and printed out for your use to carry with you

To access this FREE Emergency Medical Card simply go to: www.universalmedicaldata.com/retail, and enter the special product code: PsA

Show your appreciation! Please "LIKE US" on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Personal.health.Records

727-EMCWalletCard.jpg (132 KB)

I asked mt Rheumy about that the last appointment, and he gave me a puzzled look. We'll see what he says the next time.

Better yet, go online,complete your information and take it with you. I am sure that he will be impressed that you have everything in hand and have taken control of your situation! Watch for the puzzled look to change when they ask to update all of your medications and you instantly have available all of the information they need. It will be fun to watch - let us know how they responded!

I've often thought about getting one, but my meds change like the seasons. Also I'm still a bit vain about everything but my skin and all the bracelets I've seen a frankly just ugly. Once upon a time when I had strength in my hands I played with the idea of making some I thought I would actually wear, and then got distracted by something else. I was probably taking vicodin that day.

Even more of a reason that you should go online and complete the free Emergency Medical Card we offer. You will be able to carry this with you while always having the most recent information readily available. Making changes as your medical condition and medications change is a very simple procedure. Simply login to the account you set up, enter the information you choose, save and print to carry with you. Having with you some sort of medical ID jewelry gives an advantage to a medical responder it is highly recommended but not an absolute necessity. The chances are better that they will discover the Emergency Medical Card if they are directed towards this by a medical ID.

The Emergency Medical Card is available to all members of this group forum. To access this simply go to www.universalmedicaldata.com/retail and enter the code: PsA

In appreciation, all we ask for is a Facebook "LIKE" at http://www.facebook.com/Personal.health.Records