Is PsA a rare disease?

With rare disease day, 28th February here it got me thinking, is PsA classed as a rare disease? Does anybody know the incidence worldwide?
Thanks
Kelly :slight_smile:

Most sites report 0.25-0.5% of general population. The Facts:Psoriatic Arthritis (the book recommended) also sites this number. As more people are correctly diagnosed the number may go up.

A rare disease is defined as one that affects fewer than 1 : 2000 people in Europe, or fewer than 200,000 people in the US. "The reported incidence of PsA has varied from 3.4 to 8 per 100 000,"source. The Hopkins PsA page states "The incidence of PsA in the United States is estimated to be 6-7 per 100,000 per year. The prevalence of PsA is approximately 0.04-0.1% of the U.S. adult population." And they have more recent sources to back that number up.

So, I guess yes it is. It's certainly not something I'd heard about before becoming part of the chronic illness community.

Thanks guys, anytime I have looked up the epidemiology of PsA I get different figures, I guess there is still a lot of research needed on PsA…

When I was dx 32 years ago, the dr's went back and forth between JRA and Juvenile onset PsA. The reason was that even though I clearly had every hallmark of PsA, at the time PsA was thought to be way less severe than what my symptoms were. Plus Juvenile onset PsA was considered to be much more rare than JRA, so the docs didn't really want to believe it. As I've gotten older and the understand that PsA can be just as severe as RA, it's become clear that I could just be in the Juvenile onset PsA group. Kids are now dx with JIA (juvenile idiopathic arthritis), for clarification.

The understanding of PsA is definitely evolving over time.

sybil said:

In any case the numbers game has implications. I suspect that if PsA does turn out to be less rare than previously thought, then criteria for getting biologics on the NHS may become more stringent.