I didn't start getting better until I started getting angry

I noticed a comment on a new member profile the other day:

I didn’t start getting better until I started getting angry.

That made me smile, because that’s exactly how things went with me.

I had been a member here for a year (and diagnosed the same length of time) and I was just not getting better. I had a rheum who thought I a mild case of PsA and a severe case of hypochondria. I asked for a biologic and she said I was no where near severe enough for that.

People here – one in particular – pestered me to get another opinion, specifically from the only PsA research clinic in Canada. Finally I got angry. I phoned the damned clinic, So there. And – surprise! – they were happy to have me come in.

After a no-stone-unturned examination, their assessment was that I had severe disease and that I needed aggressive therapy asap. And then I was REALLY angry.

I had my hip replaced, and started on the biologic as soon as I could after. It took months for me to feel its full benefit, but I haven’t looked back since. I fired rheum #1, and let the specialty clinic call the shots. Since then, I’ve got myself a new rheum whom I love, and I continue to feel better than I did twenty years ago.

I was angry about getting pestered here, and finally I bit the bullet and bolted to the specialty clinic. I was angry about how rheum #1 treated me, and I fired her. In writing. So there. I got a fantastic new rheumie, even though it took 2 years on a waitlist …

Sometimes being angry is exactly what you need to start getting better. Couldn’t have said it better myself!

When has getting angry helped you get better?

5 Likes

I found an excellent rheumy after my first one (about half my age) scolded me for using the internet for information because it led me to contradict her approach. Yup, fired on the spot! And I got really really angry when I went cold turkey off my 50 mg prednisone habit and felt like death. No one was taking my pain seriously and I went to a walk in clinic to get immediate attention and did. Sometimes getting angry is all you got left!

2 Likes

WOW, you were able to go cold turkey off 50 mg of pred? I’m struggling to get off 5 mg. How on earth are you still alive. I’m glad you are, of course :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Good point @mimiB. I don’t think @Amos meant long term treatment with 50mg of pred - as you say going cold turkey off that may quite literally kill you, so we wouldn’t want anyone giving that a try!

Like Amos, I was a bit attached to the cycles of feeling like myself again those short boosts of high dose pred give you - it seemed I was on a never-ending treadmill. Unlike Amos, I didn’t fire my Rheumy (or my ex-husband, who was the larger problem), until way later so I didn’t get off them terribly fast and took a 7-10mg daily dose for way too long as well - like you the difficulty I had weaning off that was incredible. Wouldn’t wish it on your worst enemy (well maybe :thinking:, just as a learning experience :joy:)

1 Like

It was really stupid and I was put on a tapering dose right away. Going from 5 to 2.5 was even difficult. It works great but I’m not going back on prednisone.

1 Like

It’s my frenemy! A taper is the only thing that takes my pain away and every now and then I need it for my mental health. But it’s given me 30 pounds and osteoporosis.

I joined in April 2011. Not a new member… just more of a reader than a replied :wink: . And that quote has been in my bio since I joined and I still believe in it to this day. It’s like INDEPENDENCE to me. <3

1 Like

Good point on the side effects of steroids. They also give me insomnia, irritability and a massive appetite.

1 Like

OMG yes. I turn into a screaming witch. Husband begged me to quit taking them.

2 Likes