Hip and rib pain

There’s a whole different approach to pain relief in the UK, as we don’t have your opiod crisis. Rheumys don’t prescribe them either your GP does. But using anti-inflammatories like Arcoxia, Celebrex etc and measured pain relief like Codiene, paracetemol every 4 hours, or even Tramadol plus all the cDMARDs and biologics can keep things a lot more together and capacitating, with or without damage from PsA. So we’re not talking fentanyl or morphine but just measured and appropriate pain relief, taken precisely as prescribed.

Right now my PsA is fairly well controlled but I will take arcoxia several times a week to keep on a even keel.

1 Like

The. Rib/back pain has become my biggest issue of late. It starts low in my back on the ribs and spreads up to just below my nipple. It feels like shingles it is so bad.

Since i can’t take anti-inflammatories i just have to suck it up. Pain pills don’t help much either. Sleeping is a real challenge when it is acting up. Get up snd out of bed if I get any sleep is a real thrill.

Ice is about the best thing I have found for it.

Are you able to use any topicals? Voltaren is one option, but even the small amount of NSAID in your system may be an issue. But even things like Icy Hot or BioFreeze can be really amazing. I also have CBD topicals. I was a bit skeptical of them at first, until I used it on a swollen tendon, and within a few hours the tendon was significantly less swollen. It made me a believer.

1 Like

@Stoney Makes a good point. Difflam gel is a topical that does not go into the bloodstream at all - I found it only works on near surface inflammation, so pretty useless on my knees, but very good on my neck for example, so it might work on ribs.

I have had limited but sometimes good success with Voltaren Extra Strength…don’t even bother with the regular, like spread butter on a joint. I have had a stronger mix of diclofenac via a prescription and pharmacy but the RX mix is goopy, sticky, greasy and well, you get the drift. The brand name stuff Voltaren at least absorbs quickly and the smell is ok.

I may not suffer with adictive jeans but have been able to stop and change until I found the best pain managment. I’m on Norspan Patches 25mcg plus lyrica 25mg and Panadine Forte for break through pain. Don’t expect to be pain free but have pain managable.I had been on strong opiods until I had a reaction.