Hashimoto's

So my immunologist says I have borderline Hashimoto’s, as shown from my blood work.

I see a new rheumatologist next week as I have moved - my former one put me on Plaquenil after telling me I have “some sort of inflammatory arthritis” and I’m still on it but worse & worse pain wise. I had scalp psoriasis as a teen, most of my other blood work is normal, but my pain is very symmetrical - mostly in my limb joints, SI joints, hips & low back. My hands & wrists are a mess. I’m HLA-B27 negative.

Anyway - there is a link between RA & Hasimoto’s and autoimmunes seem to ‘collect’ - anyone here have it ? If so, how’s the treatment working for you ? Do you tinker with your diet ?
TIA

The connection is that hashimoto’s is an autoimmune condition and a certain number of us will be lucky enough to accumulate more than one. My current count is two personally, PsA and Sjogrens.

By the way, while symmetrical psoriatic arthritis isn’t the standard definition, it’s what I generally have.

1 Like

I have been on a gluten free diet, since I first saw a Rheumatologist. Sugar and potato’s are bad for me. I am doing 18:6 intermittent fasting now for almost 1 year.Lost 25 lbs.I switched Rheumy because she put me on Methotrexate, I felt like I was dying. I asked to try a biological, she said no. I found a diff.dr. I think she was trying to make me feel worse. She said I have MCTD, 2nd Rheumy said no, just the PsA.and Osteoarthritis. I have tried Stellara, I am on Medicare,so they rip you off price wise. Thousands ! I said I can not afford these copays! Doc let me get infusions, not Stelara. 30.00 copay.

1 Like

I’ve read that if a person doesn’t change their diet and heal their gut that it’s possible to add one autoimmune disorder per decade. I have three - psoriasis; bilateral psoriatic arthritis, and uveitis. Three years ago I started the AIP (Autoimmune Protocol) because my quality of life had deteriorated significantly and I didn’t want to go on meds. It has been a game changer for me and I will never go back to the way I used to eat. It’s not easy. It’s really effing hard. But it works - I am maybe 85% better. In a nutshell - no gluten, dairy, sugar, grains, nightshades. No processed foods. Only veggies, fruits, grass fed beef and chicken and wild caught fish. There are a ton of resources and recipes out there. I also belong to an AIP support group that meets monthly. Happy to make recommendations if you want to explore AIP.