Easy Recipes

How about people adding some easy to do recipes here, this can help with the holidays or just about anytime we need to whiz something up for an occasion or supervise our loved ones to do it instead

Fudge Brioche Pudding

1 ready made brioche loaf (ready sliced if possible)
1 carton of ready made custard
1 packet of good quality butter fudge

1. Slice the brioche loaf, if not ready sliced, cut each slice into 4 diagonally.
  2. Lay half the brioche point upwards in a 12 - 14 inch shallow dish, slightly overlapping, (so they appear like fish scales)
  3. Spoon over half the custard so most of the brioche is covered thinly
  4. Crumble half fudge over the top of the custard.
  5. Repeat steps 2, 3, 4 then bake in a hot oven for around 20 mins or until the pudding is the way you like it.

Obviously this is a “very occasional treat” as its so high if fat and sugar but if I’m invited for dinner amongst friends, I usually get asked to make “That Pudding”

An easy vegetarian meal we have frequently is something we have dubbed "Bean Plate".

My husband and I ate this A LOT when we were first married, and when the kids were little, thanks to little money or time.

**Bean Plate**

Get a microwaveable dinner size plate

Spread on one can of vegetarian refried beans.

Heat in microwave (cover with paper towel)

Sprinkle with pre-shredded Mexican cheese

Heat a bit more to melt cheese

Sprinkle with toppings (we like tomato and green onion, you could add spicy things, olives, etc).

Grab a friend and scoop up with tortilla chips, preferably while you chat or watch TV :)

Or you could have this as an appetizer at a gathering.

Another easy recipe:

**Embellished Cheese Pizza**

This works well as a snack or meal, easy to load up on sale for the freezer, and contains a serving of vegetables.

Find a brand of frozen cheese pizza you like (thin crust is my favorite).

Top with lots of thinly slice zucchini, diced tomato and diced green onion.

Sprinkle LIBERALLY with Italian seasoning and extra parmesan.

Bake until vegetables are done. This will be about 5-10 minutes longer than the directions.

The pizza looks appealing, has the vegetables, and can be a last minute thing.

It could be sliced into little triangles to make appetizers as well.

The reason I top with these vegetables (as well as on the bean plate below), is that they stay good in the fridge for awhile, so if I'm not up for making either of these recipes, the veggies don't go bad. Also, these are all veggies that can be pre-chopped and left in a container for a few days. Sometimes my husband or son will do the pre-chopping if I think of it ahead of time. Everything else in these recipes stays in a can or freezer until needed. So no stress if they don't get made.

We had this for dinner the other night! It’s a kid favorite for sure. The only change is I spread tortilla chips on a cookie sheet, dob the beans on top then sprinkle with cheese. It’s super nummy, and easy.

Marietta said:

An easy vegetarian meal we have frequently is something we have dubbed “Bean Plate”.

My husband and I ate this A LOT when we were first married, and when the kids were little, thanks to little money or time.

Bean Plate

Get a microwaveable dinner size plate

Spread on one can of vegetarian refried beans.

Heat in microwave (cover with paper towel)

Sprinkle with pre-shredded Mexican cheese

Heat a bit more to melt cheese

Sprinkle with toppings (we like tomato and green onion, you could add spicy things, olives, etc).

Grab a friend and scoop up with tortilla chips, preferably while you chat or watch TV :slight_smile:

Or you could have this as an appetizer at a gathering.

This is sort of a holiday recipe as you can use leftover ham. Made wither in the crock pot or on the stove on low heat for at least 2 hours or until hot bubbly and beans are soft.

Ham Bone Soup

2 cans or one bag (prep dry peas per package directions) black eyed peas

1 can diced stewed tomatoes

1 can chick peas

1 ham bone with a little leftover meat. Make sure to remove any large pieces of fat. Shank portions hide A LOT of meat and are excellent for soups.

6 shakes of Zatarans Creole seasoning

black pepper to taste

1/4 tsp cumin

1/4 tsp salt or to taste. For those on low sodium diets, don't add any salt, there is plenty in the ham. Season with sea salt at tableside. Nice flavor without adding quite as much.

1 diced onion

3 cloves, minced garlic

If you are feeling industrious, saute the onion and garlic in a skillet with olive oil until clear. If not, dump them directly into the pot.Place ham bone in the bottom of pot. Cover with peas & tomatoes (don't drain). Add dry seasonings and stir as best you can. Cover with lid and put crock pot on low for 8 hours.

Just prior to serving, use a for to gently pick some of the ham from the bone. It should just slide right off with little effort.

If there is any fat on top, be sure to skim this pretty well prior to dishing up.

Serve with Tabasco and a dollop of good sour cream.

Sometimes I serve this over rice, sometimes not. Sometimes with cornbread, sometimes not. :-)

I have a pizza recipe too. Every Friday is pizza night in our house.

1 pre-made pizza crust. I use a gluten free frozen pizza, but I used to use Boboli. This recipe is for the Boboli crust.

Olive oil

1 ball Fresh Mozzarella, cut into 1/4 inch slices

Fresh Basil, sliced into ribbons

1 jar of Tomato Basil spaghetti sauce

1/4 cup tomato paste

Preheat oven to package directions.

Take a fork and poke holes in the pizza crust ( about 6 jabs)

Use a brush or paper towel dipped in olive oil and coat both sides of crust.

Bake for 5 minutes on a baking or pizza sheet and remove. The crust may inflate a little. That's okay, just poke it into submission before adding the sauce.

Mix 1/2 of the spaghetti sauce with the paste in a medium bowl.

Spread sauce on crust.

Place cheese on crust

Sprinkle with basil

Bake for another 20 minutes or until crust is crisp and cheese is softened. The fresh mozzarella won't melt like other cheeses...it sort of just loses it's shape.

We do this with other toppings too, but this is easiest and so good.

TURKEY SURPRISE
1 turkey
1 c. unpopped popcorn

Thaw one bird and wash well. Place one cup of popcorn (unpopped) into cavity. Place in oven and cook until popcorn pops and blows the tail off the turkey. The turkey is done.

If only most recipes came with such an exciting "I'm done!" LOL LOL

tntlamb said:

TURKEY SURPRISE
1 turkey
1 c. unpopped popcorn

Thaw one bird and wash well. Place one cup of popcorn (unpopped) into cavity. Place in oven and cook until popcorn pops and blows the tail off the turkey. The turkey is done.