Dietary Study for PsA

AngieB, I have had the book a couple of years. I guess putting the ISBN number is just the teacher in me, lol. I just looked on the Barnes and Noble website and they have the book for $15.94. Amazon also has it and it is only $14.62. Just make sure you get the right one—I initially purchased two books and hated the other one. On both sites it was the first book that came up (for me at least).

I agree that big pharma just wants us on medication. Every choice we make—what to eat, how much exercise we get, how we deal with stress, every single lotion, soap, and cosmetic we put on our skin—has an effect. I am letting my hair go gray just to keep those chemicals out of my system. Plus my mom let her hair go gray and it looks beautiful on her. I am making my own lotions and lip balm (easy thanks to Pinterest and Amazon). I am even lucky enough to be able to take a year off my stressful teaching job to pursue more creative, less stressful jobs to get that under control. I don’t know much what I am doing will really help, but I can’t sit back and just take meds.

2 Likes

Hey @Zinnia. Thank you for the information.
I’ll see if I can find it. Being allergic to so much and having sensitivities to everything it seems, I’m always looking for something other than pharmaceuticals.
I’m blessed to have a friend that makes my soaps shampoos and conditioner and lotion I use. All natural ingredients and so much better than store bought. I would do that myself if I could afford the equipment. My husband says just get it from her. So I do :grinning:
Yeah I haven’t colored or permed or any chemical treatment to my hair in years. My husband says we don’t have grey hair; we have silver in our hair. :wink:
Thank you again.

I saw a new doctor on Monday. She is an osteopathic doctor who (among osteopathic adjustments and other things) helps patients find an anti inflammatory diet that works for them. Right now she has me on an elimination diet. I will be on it for several weeks, then try re-introducing foods one at a time to see if I react badly to any of them. I am off sugar, refined foods, processed oils, wheat and most other grains, soy, peanuts, beef, pork, eggs, and dairy products. This is actually fairly easy for me, since I have been off sugar, processed foods, and most grains for years. So I am now mostly eating fish, poultry, fruits, vegetables, nuts, rice, quinoa, and coconut oil. We will see if it helps. --NancyJ

2 Likes

I’ve had people rave about my grey hair! Honest! One restaurant owner turned down the music in her premises so that she could communicate her appreciation unimpeded! This is a revelation to me. Grey Power! Now all I need is for folks to see the true beauty in varicose veins.

8 Likes

LOVE it, Sybil!!! I am well on my way! They seem to be coming in faster now that I am 50!

One should “grow old gracefully”, it is so sad to see people desperately trying to look young, with guys they have the died black or wrong color brown hair, that does not match the wrinkled gray colored face. The natural color highlights the face, with a glow of beauty, inner calmness and the twinkle in the eye that comes from advancing years.

4 Likes

Lol! If only! We brits do not handle heat waves well and this one has been going on for months. The only glow I have right now comes from sweating buckets.

5 Likes

Hey y’all.
I’ve been reading and researching about the best “diet” for PsA. Honestly it is confusing! But I think I have figured it out abit. I’ve cut out refined sugar as much as possible. I can tell a big difference in my pain when
I do accidentally eat some. So I use natural raw honey and I bought some coconut palm sugar but guess what?! It’s refined sugar too! But now I have it so I’m using it sparingly in recipes.

I’m confused about fats though. One doctor says only “good” fats, like coconut oil, olive oil, etc and another says some fat from meat is ok and beneficial. I have noticed that when I eat pork of any kind I’ll swell more and be more achy. So I try to avoid pork but I’m a carnivore lol and I love my husband’s grilled ribs! And speaking of my husband, he eats what he wants. Lol I’m introducing him to alternative food as much as possible but he won’t give up his grilled meats or processed foods. Ugh
Dairy is difficult but I have switched to coconut milk and unsalted real butter. We were buying my milk and regular milk for my husband but since he only used it in coffee and the other day we only had my coconut milk , I snuck some into his coffee and didn’t tell him. :grinning: he liked it! and said it made his coffee taste like hot chocolate ! So no more regular milk! One win for me!

Another confusing thing is about veggies. I eat as much fruit and vegetables as I can afford but some dieticians say not to eat night shade veggies. What is that?? I’ve never heard of that. And btw I love veggies! So not being able to eat fresh peas and beans, fresh cabbage, and especially fresh home grown tomatoes is torture for me.
I just planted some tomato seeds, yes late in the season but I found the seeds and put em in a pot anyway lol fresh Georgia tomatoes are the bomb!!! Lol
But if I’m not supposed to eat em because they’ll make me hurt more, then Idk. :confused:

If anyone can clarify all this for me, I’d appreciate it tremendously!
Thank you.

Nightshade veggies are tomatoes, eggplant, bell pepper, any pepper, and potatoes.

which I just finished eating! I had a nice curry with tomato, potato, cauliflower, and peppers! I will let you know how I feel in a while…

1 Like

@Jon_sparky
thank you! Yes please let me know if you feel any difference. I guess I need to do an elimination diet and add stuff Back one at a time to know if it affects me.

Yep AngieB, an elimination diet was what I had to do. Seems to often be very individual, and can even change over time. I was miserable when I realised I had to give up capsicum and red meat (and whilst there were other things, those two made me really sick - what a weird combination!). 4 years on, I can now eat red meat occasionally without any ill effects (it used to literally have me vomiting the next day, ugh). So go the elimination diet, and be prepared to adapt :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well I just got up, I guess that experiment got a reaction… 5 hours of fatigue and pain…

I did the opposite of the elimination diet, I ate everything I was not supposed to eat! I topped it off with a piece of gluten free carrot pineapple cake… I think it was worth it. I did get a reaction.

All for the sake of science.

I’m with you on that one Sybil!

Got the results of my Boston Heart Blood test, fasinating!
They gave m a booklet custom made, detailing what foods I should eat. Of course they were all nightshade family veggies! The booklet walks you through all the tests, it is very well done.
My hsCRP was 1.2 midrange inflammation, first time I had any blood work telling me that I had inflammation…
not many surprises with the diet suggestions, I guess we all know what we need to eat. Reading the “limit foods” makes me hungry!

1 Like

If you’re not allergic to iodine, you could try algae oil? This brand claims to be fine for people with seafood allergies, but if you have problems with iodine, I have no idea… I found any kind of omega-3 very beneficial, chia, flax, fish, anything (but I’m a younger female and we convert ALA at a higher rate than all other population groups, or so I’ve read…).

I also have b12 issues and usually take a 40k% DRA dose of methylated b12. The difference between the other forms and methyl is truely night and day, isn’t it? XD

1 Like

Stanford University has probably sorted it all out as well as anyone with Their Fodmops diet. i lost well over 100# by going with a Keto/low carb diet, but it is really hard to maintain that diet long term. hard to believe one could ever tire of eggs, cheese, and bacon but you do. Fodmops is a really nice alternative as it introduces you to some “real food” while encompassing both low carb and anti-inflammatory options. http://deliciousliving.com/health/breaking-down-low-fodmap-diet
It also really helps with multiple gut problems.

One can’t overstate the importance of weight loss in this whole thing. Weight gain is pretty simple lack activity an too much food is the reason. Foods that cause “inflammation” are not coincidentally also high calorie. We can rationalize, explain blame and all manner of denial but it is still ALWAYS a matter of diet and exercise. The most calories come from fructose (carbohydrates) doesn’t matter whether it is a piece of fruit, corn on the cob, or a Snickers Bar. The biggest source is HFCS (high fructose corn Syrup used in just about every “prepared food” Its not big pharma that’s the problem its the USDA and their billions in subsides to midwest corn farmers. Even ours gasoline and fuels contain HFCS of course they call it ethanol. As if that weren’t enough, they pay subsidies to small grain farmers as well so now even our flour is enriched with glutens because the supplemts for hard reds is the highest. Big Pharma is simply responding.

1 Like

Wot! No garlic?!! The ‘avoid’ side lists my entire diet (plus lots of stuff on the good side). Oh heck. Was thinking of cutting out gluten … I cannot put on weight though, so that’s something.

More seriously, I am wondering whether you think autoimmune diseases are on the rise due to environmental factors or whether they are becoming so commonplace because of improved diagnostic methods and the fact that we’re living longer. Or all of the above.

I did this diet for several years, hard to do when the chronic fatigue sets in, then I just want to grab a protein bar and a boiled egg, maybe a carrot. This is when people have craving for high carb foods, in the hope of curtailing the fatigue, which actually makes it worse.
It is also difficult because I am a vegetarian, and gluten free.
Have to cut out the bad oils, according to my blood test, so it is just lettuce and nuts… :wink:

2 Likes