A very effective solution for pain that you may not know about!

Because of the moderate to severe SI joint damage I have to to PsA, it is difficult to ride in a car, my Rheumatologist started having his nurse spray me with this before leaving. It takes away most of the pain and will allow me several hours of being nearly pain free without narcotics. It cannot be used often though! It is a prescription anesthetic.

http://www.gebauer.com/Products/Gebauer-s-Ethyl-Chloride-1/

That’s a brilliant solution. I didn’t realize that would last that long. Do any other topicals work for you at home?

Everyone on the Fibromyalgia site, where I spend most of my time (over 2,400 members, I started a Fibro and arthritis group with about 165 members) find it hard to believe that I get so much relief from OTC 'Sportscreme', first advertised decades ago by infamous quarterback Joe Namath. So I use that for home for the regular pain. For intractable pain and the car riding pain I use the Ethyl Chloride.

Besides Amazon, it is in most grocery and drug stores, and very affordable.

http://www.amazon.com/Sportscreme-Deep-Penetrating-Relieving-Rub-3/...

BTW, I have the spondylitis type of PsA.

I typically use Icy Hot. I know a few people here swear by SalonPas, which convinced me to try it. It lasts for quite some time. Thanks for your tip.

My husband has bad knees, and he likes the Icy Hot, each to their own, I cannot stand the ICY part of it! I have also heard Salon Pas are good.

The Ethyl Chloride is ICE cold, but it dissipates in seconds, where the Lidoderm patches stay ice cold forever, they just set my pain into high gear!

Thanks for the tip :slight_smile: I use an ice spray for many patients before cannulation…never even thought about how a similar product might help me! Doh!!

Oh my.. leaving for vacation on Wednesday.. and have a 3 hour car ride to airport and then another 3 to destination.....

I wish i could have that spray .... lol

I will probably just use the pain patch....

Hi Louise!

Yes, a rose by any other name... just be sure to brace yourself!! Makes me squeal every time, but it works every time!

Karen, sorry I did not get this info to you sooner, but hope you have a great vacation!

Louise Hoy said:

Thanks for the tip :) I use an ice spray for many patients before cannulation......never even thought about how a similar product might help me! Doh!!

Brilliant !

SK said:

Everyone on the Fibromyalgia site, where I spend most of my time (over 2,400 members, I started a Fibro and arthritis group with about 165 members) find it hard to believe that I get so much relief from OTC 'Sportscreme', first advertised decades ago by infamous quarterback Joe Namath. So I use that for home for the regular pain. For intractable pain and the car riding pain I use the Ethyl Chloride.

Besides Amazon, it is in most grocery and drug stores, and very affordable.

http://www.amazon.com/Sportscreme-Deep-Penetrating-Relieving-Rub-3/...

BTW, I have the spondylitis type of PsA.

Of all of the digging I have done for a solution to the pain of car riding without taking narcotics (especially while driving) this never came up, was never mentioned by any other Physician and I have seen so many I've lost count!

I will warn you all that the kids are 'huffing' this for a thrill, so it may be difficult to get, and if you get the script, be prepared to wait while it is ordered in to the pharmacy, it is not a mainstream solution, but it should be!

The Rheumatologist would only prescribe it to me that day because my Mother was along, he went to the waiting room for her and had his nurse teach her how to spray it. Again, he emphasized that it should be used sparingly as far as amount and frequency!

BTW, do NOT shake!!

Grumpycat also recently posted info about a prescription cream that she swears by.

Thanks for all your helpful info SK !

SK said:

Of all of the digging I have done for a solution to the pain of car riding without taking narcotics (especially while driving) this never came up, was never mentioned by any other Physician and I have seen so many I've lost count!

I will warn you all that the kids are 'huffing' this for a thrill, so it may be difficult to get, and if you get the script, be prepared to wait while it is ordered in to the pharmacy, it is not a mainstream solution, but it should be!

The Rheumatologist would only prescribe it to me that day because my Mother was along, he went to the waiting room for her and had his nurse teach her how to spray it. Again, he emphasized that it should be used sparingly as far as amount and frequency!

BTW, do NOT shake!!

There is also a Voltaran gel:

http://voltarengel.com/consumer/default.aspx

And if I recall correctly lamb uses a specially compounded cream that is better than the regular script! Hard to find a real compounding Pharmacy anymore!

Help me out here, lamb!

My Veterinarian turned me on to a compounding pharmacy, seems the vets know where they are!

I liked using Voltaren gel when it was just on specific areas. So when it was just my hands, I was using it happily, and it was working. But when I started to get more inflammation again, including my hips, last fall, I had to go back to oral NSAIDs. It was tough using it on my hands, because I had to wait for it to dry before I could do anything.

SK said:

There is also a Voltaran gel:

http://voltarengel.com/consumer/default.aspx

And if I recall correctly lamb uses a specially compounded cream that is better than the regular script! Hard to find a real compounding Pharmacy anymore!

Help me out here, lamb!

My sister was telling me about it this afternoon. Her son is a physician and he tried it on her this last week and it worked! She says that in less than 10 minutes she was relieved but she cannot use it too often, unfortunately.

I see my RA tomorrow and can't wait to ask him about this. I use bio freeze and pain patches otherwise. Thanks for the info