Quantcast

Living with Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA)

10 year Humira Anniversary coming up!

This October 23rd is my 10 year Humira Anniversary. I saw my lovely rheumatologist today who confirmed the exact date with me at out my appointment. I am so positive about my experience with Humira and wanted to share with anyone who might be where I was maybe 11-12 years ago.
I had been on a couple of DMARDs over the previous years which had worked for a while or caused too many unpleasant side effects to stick with. Next came discussing AntiTNF with my then rheumatologist and I was concerned even more than I’d been about some of the DMARDs. I did a lot of reading about how they act and success rate vs reported side effects, having a biology degree helped me really study in depth so I made a confident decision.
It would not be an understatement to say Humira has given me my life back. I refer to it as my Cinderella drug and plan to celebrate my upcoming anniversary and the last 10 years!
My rheumatologist said today that she wants to add in a minimal dose of methotrexate by weekly subcutaneous injection, and extra oral folic acid inbetween days in the hope to avoid the nausea and stomach upsets it caused me years ago. My symptoms are still well controlled by Humira but less so than before so mtx should soup it up…worth a trial at least I think. I feel oddly attached to Humira after all it’s allowed me to do in the last decade (go back to work, get married and dance at my wedding, drive again, gardening my favourite thing, I had a med break to have two children who I can run round after and I can now walk for MILES on good days! ) My podiatrist has definitely helped me a lot too, as have others but at the risk of this turning into an Oscar’s speech I’ll sign off here!

11 Likes

That’s really awesome! I’m on Enbrel, and I think it’s almost 6 years now. It’s great to hear of people who got turned around into the right direction like this.

2 Likes

Such a truly lovely positive post showing so much how things have the proper possibility of improving when you find the right med for you. It’s so lovely to hear. :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

You made my day. Thanks for sharing hope and optimism! We all need a dose of that, and there may be members out there for whom your post made all the difference. :trophy: Trophy of the day for you, Mommabear!

Seenie

That’s brilliant news and gives us all hope. I have a wee suggestion for the nausea with MXT. My GP advised me to take Robitussin dry cough medicine, stops the nausea and icky feeling of MXT. One spoon did the job.

1 Like

Very happy for you, MommaBear! Humira can be a godsend for so many. I hope all continues well for you, and that can continue to enjoy your family.

1 Like

That’s great to hear. I was just approved for humira and am praying it works for me. I’m having such a difficult time with swelling and pain. Hard to walk, sit for long, etc. I’m still working full time but am considering having to stop because of how I feel so this gives me hope that I’ll be able to run around with grandbabies and do the things I love to do! Thank you for sharing!!

3 Likes

That’s great news, MommaBear! WOW, 10 years’ success! It makes me hopeful about Enbrel, which I’ve been on 5 years with success…my anniversary date is July 1–a day I’ll never forget!

I’m wondering, though, why is the doctor suggesting adding methotrexate if you’re doing well? Are you having trouble with psoriasis? I ask that because my psoriasis is spreading. It had cleared about 90% for the first couple years on Enbrel, but it’s gradually getting worse and seems to be snowballing lately. I’ve heard so much good about methotrexate, but I don’t think it’s for me because of my low white cell count…

Just interested to hear why your doctor is adding this med and if you’re in agreement with doing that?

1 Like

Such a great success story! I’m hoping for similar results so love hearing how well you’re doing!

1 Like

I’m going on four years with Enbrel and still fairly good success! I have had an increase in daily pain and flares but still a huge improvement to where I was over four years ago. Enbrel has definitely been life changing for me and the only side effect I’ve ever experienced has been injection site reactions and bruising at the injection site. Thanks for sharing! Wishing you continued success with the Humira!

3 Likes

Hi
The reason the mtx is being added in soon is due to increased break out flares. That said, I’m working more hiurbrhan I have in years and I also have 2 small children so my physical demands have certainly increased during the last decade!

1 Like

That is exactly why I posted! I’m glad to share if it helps anyone at all x

2 Likes

Working more than you have for ages … 2 small kids … How wonderful to hear that you’ve got your life back and then some!

Here’s hoping that Mtx will help with flares too.

1 Like

I keep reading this post over and over as I start Humira today. This post and comments help me to relax :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s why I posted Mike :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs: hope you have a positive experience xx

2 Likes